Need help ID'ing this pre-war "Schwinn"...

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Paul M, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Paul M

Paul M

1st post here. I picked up an old "Schwinn" on craisglist this weekend - after doing a bit of research it looks like the badge is not correct. Looks like a pre-war bike but I'm not sure that anything but the badge and the saddle are Schwinn. Tires are 26 x 1 3/4" and are newer kendras. Wheels may be newer.

Also curious if bike has any collector interest before I start modifing it. Are there any replacement seat posts that work with modern saddles? The one on the bike is a bit rusty and has a bend in it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

hammer mechanic and Rustinkerer like this.
  2. hammer mechanic

hammer mechanic

Hello, welcome to the forum.
    From what I can see, the frame looks like some sort of Murray built piece. The lug where the top tube joins the seat tube looks like most of my JC Higgins frames. It would be nice to see the entire frame from the side. Also, is there a serial # under the bottom bracket(crank hanger)? Looks like someone hung a bunch of 60's schwinn parts on this frame.
    This frame takes a 5/8" post, probably stuck with that.
    No original parts so I would modify away.
    Good luck and have fun,
    Tom H

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    RustyGold and Falstaff like this.
  3. Falstaff

Falstaff

If no serial number under the crank, check the dropouts. Where the rear wheel bolts in.
    As hammer said, a full side shot would help.

4. Paul M

Paul M

5. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

Yes, it's a Murray built frame, they built these into the '50s. Added Schwinn badge, seat, and wheels. The BB codes will narrow things down. ~Adam

6. Paul M

Paul M

7. hammer mechanic

hammer mechanic

According to one of my sources, the MO-L dates to 1947. While I wouldn't bet the farm on it, that is probably pretty close. I think Murray went away from the rear facing dropouts around that time.

Wildcat likes this.
  8. Wildcat

Wildcat

I agree with hammer mechanic. I read a thread on a Firestone bike, made by Murray. Same frame as yours, with rear facing dropouts. According to what I read, Murray went to forward facing in the late 40's, the earlier rear facing were post war, making 1947 very likely for your frame.
    [​IMG]

The thread from the CABE:
    https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/firestone-pilot.7676/

hammer mechanic likes this.
  9. Wildcat

Wildcat

Forward facing dropouts came after the rear facing, (edit doesn't work on my post).

10. Paul M

Paul M

hammer mechanic likes this.