Need fender help. I'm kinda embarrassed.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,

Soooooo.....I'm contemplating stripping down my Glide Deluxe to have it powdercoated (this will be the second time around for it. Yeah, I'll get pictures up. I promise). I have a new set of fenders to swap in.

My question is, I think they might be chromed. My understanding is that chrome needs to be stripped or otherwise prepped prior to powdercoating.......on the other hand, could they simply be unfinished steel?

How do I know? I feel like I should know this but I gotta ask. Is there a simple test to see if it's chrome or steel?

All,

Soooooo.....I'm contemplating stripping down my Glide Deluxe to have it powdercoated (this will be the second time around for it. Yeah, I'll get pictures up. I promise). I have a new set of fenders to swap in.

My question is, I think they might be chromed. My understanding is that chrome needs to be stripped or otherwise prepped prior to powdercoating.......on the other hand, could they simply be unfinished steel?

How do I know? I feel like I should know this but I gotta ask. Is there a simple test to see if it's chrome or steel?
For powder it does not matter what surface to lye on, as long as it does conduct electricity. I guess if i were you i'd just coat it directly over chrome. But if you are sure to strip it - do that, that would cause no problem. Raw steel is also perfect for powder. I always powder stuff after sandblasting, as raw as it can get.
The preparation for powder is always same, stuff just need to be de-greased, so no special treatment is necessary for chrome or other surfaces. Professional coaters, correct me please if i am wrong here.

chrome or steel?
Chrome plating is a surface treatment. Most fenders that are chrome plated, are also steel. Chrome plated fenders have a shiny mirror-like reflective look to them. Un-painted steel may appear to be a duller gray, sometimes referred to as white-metal. Painted steel generally appears to be the color of the paint.
And then there are Nickel-Chromium Alloy steel fenders, called stainless steel, or corrosion resisting steel (CRES).

Latest posts

Back