Naughty Newsboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean up day. Got the frame washed and degreased. Then it was some 0000 steel wool and WD-40 to smooth everything out. Wash rinse repeat.

Then I cleaned up the head tube, seat tube, and BB

IMG_20201009_122553594~2.jpg
IMG_20201009_122607719~2.jpg
IMG_20201009_122709878~2.jpg
IMG_20201009_122532652~2.jpg

And then while that was happening, FedEx showed up

Crazy fork on board. Not sure how/if/why, but for $20 it's just funky enough for me to like it

IMG_20201009_130535813~2.jpg

IMG_20201009_130550772~2.jpg

Drum brake and steering stop will come off

It's funky. 1.125 threaded steerer, drum, aluminum, no offset dropouts. I'll attempt to make something out of it

And it came with a headset

IMG_20201009_130846550~2.jpg

Have a suspicion the American to Euro adapter isn't going to seat all the way. Get that grinder ready

I knew the lip inside the BB would be an issue. I'll probably just machine a bevel or step into the adapter

Long time listener, first time caller. New process to me

Here we go

View attachment 141124
I wipe it on with a rag and wait until it starts tacking up (about 1/2 hour) and wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. Rinse & repeat a couple times. Toss the rags into a container of water to keep the garage from burning down.

I wipe it on with a rag and wait until it starts tacking up (about 1/2 hour) and wipe off the excess with a clean cloth. Rinse & repeat a couple times. Toss the rags into a container of water to keep the garage from burning down.
Exact same thing I'm doing now. Bucket of water and Dawn dish soap right here to toss them in

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Exact same thing I'm doing now. Bucket of water and Dawn dish soap right here to toss them in

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
Oh yeah, one more thing. After it cures it can be top coated with the polyurethane of your choice. I got that from Bob Villa.

Oh yeah, one more thing. After it cures it can be top coated with the polyurethane of your choice. I got that from Bob Villa.

I almost just went straight to poly but decided against it. The BLO is looking nice and rich on its own. I might just leave it knowing I'll have to do it again every so often

Wheels are on backorder :doh:

So I think I'll throw it together with the steelies and coaster brake it for awhile

Hopefully the bars and cranks will be here mid week and I can get the bulk of it assembled

Got all the miscellaneous brackets, doo dads, and gee gaws cut off the fork. Started sanding as I found out it's powder coat

Got myself a Retro ryder headset ordered from @rev106 so I can get it slotted in place :thumbsup:

The bad news........first the wheels were back ordered, and now my bars and stem are lost in the vast expanse of anti matter that the USPS has become. No clue where they are. No scans since they decided to stop off in Kentucky 5 days ago. I hate waiting

You all know that I don't go for low brow humor, however, that joke snuck up on and I laughed out loud when I got it.
:wink1:

I'll be honest I got the seat because it's cool looking and I scored it for $9. If nothing else I'll save it for a bmx build in the future

Latest posts

Back