Name that Schwinn!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need some help identifying this thing. when i get the LAYERS of crappy spraypaint off it i'll look for some serial numbers

_DSC0135.jpg

_DSC0136.jpg

_DSC0137.jpg

_DSC0138.jpg

_DSC0141.jpg

76-up Breeze with the larger frame. (19" I think).

There are no braze-ons that I see for cables, no 3-spd shifter pulley or any other additions. So it was probably a coaster bike originally and that pretty much narrows it down to a Breeze.

Could be up to early 80s.

Post the serial and we'll tell you the year. Find the tiny 4 numbers in the headbadge and we'll tell you the day it was built.

--Rob

where is the serial number most likely to be? and it is definitely a coaster, i just have the rear wheel off in the pick because i was replacing the dryrotted tire. the hub is a sturmey archer coaster with a little chain in the axle, not sure what thats all about. also there is a tiny pulley behind the chainring mounted low on the seatpost. the headbadge number is 1617

Ok, you've got a 77 Breeze with one of the coaster-3 hubs.

It shifts like a regular Sturmey 3-speed but doesn't freewheel. You'll want to find a cable assembly including a trigger shifter and the frame mounted cable stop. I couldn't see the pulley in the pictures but its presence confirms that it's a 3-speed.

You might be able to read a model name on the shell of the hub, stamped into it along with the date.

The 161 on the headbadge means 161'st day of a year ending in 7 = about June 10th, 1977.

The hub should have a month and date code on it somewhere.

The serial should be just below the headbadge on the bottom of the head tube. Looks like there may be a lot of extra paint on this bike so it could be obscured. Good restoration project, but do it for the fun of it: even very nice they're rarely worth more than $100.

--Rob

Latest posts

Back