1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

Naked Panther

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 11 BUILD JOURNALS' started by Chad T, Apr 30, 2016.

1. RustyGold

RustyGold

Neat Triumph AND cool Rollfast!

Jason

Chad T likes this.
  2. Chad T

Chad T

Been doing some post completion fine tuning on this bike.

First thing was removal of the tank panel. Didn't really like it. The edges were scratching the alum and the brass straps were already starting to react and cause the frame to corrode so it had to go.

p23.jpg

added this license plate. It was on my bike in 1978. Forget exactly which one. It was probably on a few.

Took a hubshiner and stuffed the ends through the slots then crimped the plate down on it. Seems to be holding it ok.

lp.jpg

After riding this bike around a bit I can confirm that the potts mod is no good with the suspension fork. Now it just goes from the lever down to the brake. There is a spot on the fork to attach it with a zip tie.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

p26.jpg

Jumbo seat tube badge and seat tube decals on the forks should be plenty of "Schwinnbolism"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Great bike...

Luke.

Chad T likes this.
  4. Chad T

Chad T

Thank you Luke! Look forward to seeing you back in action soon.

With the tank panel removal I felt I needed to update my finished thread.

I have this as the top pic.

[​IMG]

I like this one too and it's a better zoomer-inner.

[​IMG]

Here's @OddJob 's favorite spot.

[​IMG]

actually found a before pic from that spot. Bad lighting that day though.

[​IMG]

This should be the last choose hopefully. I like them all pretty well. I like the angle + light on the first one the best I think.

brett4christ likes this.
  5. Falstaff

Falstaff

The other bike in the top pic kinda draws your eye a bit, but I like it.

Chad T likes this.
  6. OddJob

OddJob Pro Member

Still stickin' to my favorite spot. And when I say 'stickin' I mean it.... 92 degrees, humidity at 68%, dewpoint is 75 degrees. The whole Midwest is a hot box right now...

gowjobs and Chad T like this.
  7. Chad T

Chad T

Thanks Falstaff. Not sure what it is about that one I like but I like it. Here's a version with the other bike cropped out.

p32.jpg

It's a great spot and I thank you for the inspiration. Hot is right. Too hot to do the ride around for pics so it's yard pics this year. Been having some great late night rides on this Panther though.

OddJob and Falstaff like this.
  8. Chad T

Chad T

Finally went out for a daytime cruise before it got so hot. Took a few pics in the local ravine.

ob1.jpg

ob2.jpg

ob3.jpg

Gotta work 8 days in a row after today. Hopefully won't be too busy and can sneak on here to see all the phenomenal builds yet to cross the finish line.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  9. gowjobs

gowjobs

That thing looks utterly RIDEABLE. I like it a lot.

OneHorsePower and Chad T like this.
  10. Falstaff

Falstaff

Where did you take pics? Three creeks?

11. Chad T

Chad T

Thanks gowjobs. Rideability was def the number one goal for this one.

This is just a few blocks form my house. If you're familiar with Columbus this is right off of Cook Rd where there is a ravine.

The gears on this bike are nice because I can pedal my way back out. I have to push the Stingrays up the hills. They have gears but they also try to flip going up a steep hill.

Falstaff likes this.
  12. Chad T

Chad T

They had some mulch piled up on the path through the park by my house so I had the kid take a vid of me riding over it. The wife watched it and said "you're quear"...so...here you go..:21:

...and a bigger mulch pile by the swings.

I tried riding over the bigger one there but it was too soft and steep. :eek:

Discovered one other weird thing with the front brake on this. It was making this horrible ringing when you tried to brake lightly. I thought it might have been from the paint so I decided to scrape it back away from the pads farther. As I started scraping I could hear the same ringing until i got the paint scraped beyond the spokes. Then it stopped and the rotor didn't ring when tapped either. It's fine now. It's like the paint added enough weight to change the resonant frequency of the rotor or something.

13. Chad T

Chad T

Been doing a little tweaking on this one. Was curious to see how this honey Brooks would look in place of the black one.

honey.jpg

Wanted to try some different motorcycle bars I had. These are a 450cc dirt bike bend. The other ones were the ATV high bend.

fog1.jpg

Cockpit seemed a bit cramped with the short stem so ratted up a shim to use the original stem.

handlebars5.jpg

handlebars4.jpg

honey2.jpg

handlebars6.jpg

Not quite as rugged looking but it's a pretty nice riding postition. Main reason for trying the Honey Brooks was I want to use the black one on another build.

metalchewy, RustyGold and horsefarmer like this.