Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably a stretch, but you could check out some dark chocolate grips to match your BB...haha! Brown is the new black I hear...

Just kidding! Yeah, that chainline will be important to hit all 11 of those gears just right....11 speed .....ELEVEN !

Thank you guys so much for your thoughts on this. Really got me to thinking and I've decided to go with the Dia Compes which was my first choice for this anyways. No need to use those Weinmann levers on a 2000 model year bicycle.

Added some silver adjustment barrels to spruce them up a bit. Paint on them has like a blue pearl in it.

View attachment 25073

TRM is right about the black + silver going with the shifter.

View attachment 25074

One thing I really like about them is they are designed for grip shifters so a flanged bmx grip fits in there perfect. (well just about. These flanges are a little big.)

View attachment 25075

Have another set of grips I wanted to try if I went with these levers so there could be a grip chose soon.

Got the frame all ready to strip just waiting for the temp to warm up here. Was having a difficult time with the driver's side bottom bracket cup until I remembered about the tool I like to call "The Decision Maker"

View attachment 25076

Gotta try and get some stripping done on this frame while the puppy (6 months old) is still sleeping.

View attachment 25077
A Brittany with a tail? cool dog.

Probably a stretch, but you could check out some dark chocolate grips to match your BB...haha! Brown is the new black I hear...

Just kidding! Yeah, that chainline will be important to hit all 11 of those gears just right....11 speed .....ELEVEN !

Thought about trying to match the chain ring bolts but I found a silver set I already had. Finally got the spacers figured out after much head scratching. They name 3 identical spacers a, b and c so it was confusing until I figured that out.

chester2.jpg

Looks very robust! :cool2:

Thank you. The cranks certainly are robust. The rest of it is probably more fragile than it looks. It should be fine for some light off road shenanigans.

Covered up the graphics with some carbon fiber wrap. Might do the same with the silver parts of the guard. Dis-assembled the pedals and added some lube, removed the XLC branding with some laquer thinner and added some holes for the heck of it.

chester3.jpg

np10.jpg

Getting close to taking her for a spin! I think she's almost ready for the derailleur. Still have to trim the steerer on the fork, change the front axle, cut off the v-brake bosses and install some cables.

A Brittany with a tail? cool dog.

He's a Borzoi. AKA Russian Wolf Hound. He's the largest of the sight hounds (Greyhound, Afgan, Whippet.)

Having a puppy can really keep you busy. Every pic he's not in he has probably been cropped out of.

mck.jpg

Good thing is he takes lots of naps.

mck2.jpg

Cool coverup . Those cranks and chain ring fit in well. And the cool pedals finish off the cranks well. [emoji106]

Your dog is cool. Didnt know the breed either.

Build is looking like serious business. Clean and tough. I like it a lot.

furyus

He's a Borzoi. AKA Russian Wolf Hound. He's the largest of the sight hounds (Greyhound, Afgan, Whippet.)
I like your Borzoi, I have though of getting one in the future. But, as to largest of the sighthounds...I've owned two Irish Wolfhounds, and they are not only the largest of the sighthounds, but the tallest (not biggest, though my last IW reached a healthy 255lbs) of dog breeds :).

Currently, my wife and I just have a couple smaller dogs...Great Danes :bigsmile:

Jason

Thanks guys!

I like your Borzoi, I have though of getting one in the future. But, as to largest of the sighthounds...I've owned two Irish Wolfhounds, and they are not only the largest of the sighthounds, but the tallest (not biggest, though my last IW reached a healthy 255lbs) of dog breeds :).

Thank you. I knew the Irish were the largest hounds but I didn't realize they were sighthounds. 255lbs ?!? Holy cow!

Hoping this one stays slim. The growing has slowed somewhat since he's past 6 mos now.
In bike news I tried some of the carbon fiber wrap on the chain guard. Not sure if I like it. Looks good in person but doesn't seem to photograph well.

chester7.jpg

chester8.jpg

Want to see how it looks with the chain but I may peel it off and go back to the original look?

I have nightmares about the civic driving, teenage, fast and furious wannabes and their carbon wrapped hood's....... But the chain guard looks good.

Looks killer my 2014 trek mnt. Bike is polished aluminum and I love the look gives it a old school & modern look at the same time [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the cf with the naked aluminum...looks like it means business :).

Jason

as to your Borzoi being done growing at six months...I wouldn't count on it. I wouldn't think they would be much different from Danes and IWs, and we consider 6mos to be the start of the 'awkward teenage years'. That lasts from about 6mos to 18mos, and they are still growing...just not usually all body parts at once :crazy:. Somewhere around 2 1/2 to 3 years they start filling out a bit.

Nice choice of parts . You can tell you been doing your home work looks like a fun & great riding bike . Hope you have some
Single track you can try it on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys so much for the input on the carbon guard! That actually helped me out a lot with the decision to use more of it.

I have nightmares about the civic driving, teenage, fast and furious wannabes and their carbon wrapped hood's....... But the chain guard looks good.

...and that's the concern with the wrap. That's exactly what I needed to hear.

The guard was basically an experiment/test because I wanted to use it to patch the brake boss surgery on the fork.

boss2.jpg

boss3.jpg

Really like working with this stuff (3m 1080). I first saw on here in the highlight thread. Somebody wrapped a spaceliner tank bezel. Then I saw some crank skins made of the same material so I ordered a 1'x5' piece of it.

The pattern is all done with texture. It's all the same color but the different paterns reflect the light differently. Looks better than the real carbon pieces on the bike. They should call it 3M "I Can't Believe It's Not Carbon Fiber"...:D...I think it's actually given me some "ratisfaction"..:21:

Since my other brake caliper showed up this week I decided to install the derailleur. This is the most expensive bike part I have ever bought. Sram XX1 Also got the Sram XX1 shifter and chain.

The cheaper Sram stuff works great but the expensive stuff is really really nice.

mech.jpg

Then all I had to do was run cables and she's a runner!!

np12.jpg

np13.jpg

Didn't ride too far. Just a couple miles but the drivetrain is flawless. Quiet, smooth and super precise shifting. Fork feels a little flimsy (especially when you slam on them big discs) but it rides soft which is fine with me.

Will probably take it out for a midnight cruise. I don't think I actually shifted it into eleventh yet..:cool2:

Lots of time left for tweaks and doodads. Feels great to finally have a runner.:happy:

as to your Borzoi being done growing at six months...I wouldn't count on it.

Oh I know he's not done growing. He just doesn't double in size while I'm at work anymore. He's quite the noodle-necked, needle-nosed knuckle head.

Was totally unprepared for going from a deaf, blind 12 year old Collie to a brand new Borzoi. Having a puppy is a bit of a nightmare. He drives us all crazy but we still spoil him rotten. Pic from today.

hug.jpg

pic from 5 months ago...

chair6.jpg

Thank you hewey!

It rides good too. Been having fun cruising it and using all the gears.:nerd:

Been using low gear more than I thought I would. Turns out the granny gear works good for lazy..:p..brakes are overkill..:eek:..just takes a gentle squeeze of the lever.

Glad OJ told me about the extra butter (proofide) on the Brooks. It's nice and soft. Wondering when/if I should tighten the screw?

When I was looking at the first ride pics I noticed the front rotor stands out a bit so I got some bbq black to spray on it. Also added a shiny silver nut for the quick release. Decided it might be convenient to have qr on the front plus I found a flapper I liked in the garage.

rotor.jpg

np15.jpg

Trimmed the shift cable. I had it mis-routed. It needed to go through a tiny hole in this black lever deal.

mech2.jpg

Fun bike to cruise around on. You sit up real high on it like a horse.

np16.jpg

np17.jpg

Got some visual touches planned. (Got a sheet of real carbon fiber ordered). Hopefully I can save some projects for my upcoming vacation.

Latest posts

Back