My Yamaha Moto-Bike returns.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3683.JPG
IMG_3691.JPG
This is one of two Moto-Bikes that I had as a kid in the 70s. I kept it around for years but finally gave it to an old friend before my interest in bicycles was rekindled recently. He never did anything with it so he gave it back to me.
What would you do with this frame and forks?
The dude catching air on his Yamaha is my friend Ted in about 1977.

I'm assuming Ted has a couple brass body parts, got some good air on that jump.

As far as what to do with the bike.
These are small for an adult, but maybe you could do a mini klunker. Or restore it, but I imagine parts aren't easy to find.

IMG_3692.JPG
I'm assuming Ted has a couple brass body parts, got some good air on that jump.

As far as what to do with the bike.
These are small for an adult, but maybe you could do a mini klunker. Or restore it, but I imagine parts aren't easy to find.
Yeah, Ted was a daredevil back then, I assume he still is. This is him with his other Yamaha from the same time period, and at the same location.

I’ve got one, a ‘76.
Parts are still around on eBay now and then but tend to be pricey.
The only part I’m missing and the hardest to find is the chain guard... because, of course, we all trashed those the day we got these things.
They turn up, but I’m unwilling to spend the money they go for.

It’s a crappy-riding bike. I don’t ever ride mine. It’s heavy, squishy, and small.

Attachments

• E8C90AC0-D20A-4654-8522-0B6D05DCD2B7.jpeg
    E8C90AC0-D20A-4654-8522-0B6D05DCD2B7.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 115
Well since we're on rat rod bikes and not the cabe, I'm going to suggest cutting it up and building a bike that fits you. If the swing arm suspension works well enough, it might be fun to graft it onto a cruiser front half of a bike. Can you weld? I'm guessing it's a steel frame since it was said to be heavy. It looks vaguely like a Worksman or an old industrial frame. There's your front half... The nice thing about welding two frames together is now you can adjust your geometry and size.

Carl.

Yep I can weld and it’s steel... but the bike is worth too much money to chop.
I really should list the thing and sell it, I’m not that attached to it. A friend had one when it was new and I always wanted one, I got this one in the ‘90s when they were hard to find (especially because we didn’t have things like Craigslist and Internet forums) but they weren’t yet valuable. Heck back then chances were always good that something rare and desirable was being sold by someone who figured it was just junk.
The pre-American Pickers days...

There would be a certain cool factor if I did chop up and customize an original Moto-Bike... heh heh heh...

Latest posts

Back