My XTRACYCLE Replacement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Nothing is wrong with my Xtracycle but the chance to upgrade to this Sun Atlas Cargo frame was to good of deal to pass up especially after I sell the old Xtracycle frame.

As it is right now. all of these parts will be transfered over to the new frame.

0909081955a.jpg

The Sun Atlas frame-chromoly. I need to order a new fork.
IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

awesome! i ride a yuba mundo first generation. 3 tons of mild steel and six speeds, slow through extra super slow. but i use it every day and have carried three antique bikes partially assembled/disassembled over the williamsburg bridge into my hometown of NYC. love to see pics of it together!
CIMG0259.jpg

Yes and No. I just received the replacement fork. I need to buy the headset now. The biggest issue is the Xtracycle centerstand doesn't fit with out some modification. I need to go to the metal supply to find the right tubing then welded on.

cman said:
Yes and No. I just received the replacement fork. I need to buy the headset now. The biggest issue is the Xtracycle centerstand doesn't fit with out some modification. I need to go to the metal supply to find the right tubing then welded on.
center stand is the problem i have as well.
maybe this one could be of use to you since you need to weld or fabricate.
http://yubaride.com/yubashop/product.php?id_product=30
i'm kind of in the same boat. i have a first generation yuba mundo and they make NOTHING that fits my bike anymore. even the "improved" Go-getter bag.
its thin and cheap with plastic clips to hold it on which are the wrong diameter for my rack(too small) plus its made for a frame that is taller (Version 3 or 4) so it falls off which suxs when my laptop and tools are in it!! first day using it the padded shoulder strap popped the stitching.
i love the idea of a cargo bike, but i'm having all kinds of trouble with accessories! i need some friends to network with to compare notes and figure that stuff out! are there more of us out there? email me it would be good to see some real cargo bike users with real input and advice.
twowheelfan@yahoo,com

i love the idea of the xtracycles but dont really dig the looks as much as I do the longtail frames. Just looks like it would beefier as a whole frame than an accessory, plus the framed versions look more like hill climbing mountain bikes than cargo bikes. the kona looks cool but the aluminum frame kind of makes me wonder why they bothered. and the big dummy just looks like they already bolted the xtracycyle to one of the frames they already had. im really pleased there are more brands making a cargo bike like these.

Twowheelfan- Thanks for the Yuba link as it looks very promising. Part of your issues is why I like the Xtracycle part/accessories. It would be nice to see all longtails designed around one standard (Xtracycle). I think Yuba could still be different enough.

Jeremy- I think the one frame design will be much better and stiffer. But the Xtracycle kit does serve a purpose and works very nicely.

I started transferring all the parts. A couple of observations:
  • Cable routing options suck. I will probably run full housing instead.
    Fenders and fat tires(Big Apples 26x 2.35) could be tricky. Plus the fender eyelets in the front suck.
    This bike is longer,so new cables and chain will be needed.
    V racks(upright) don't have long enough legs to reach the bottom of the Atlas ports.

Latest posts

Back