My Whip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post here much. I do ride with Charles once in a while here in Fort Worth; hopefully that doesn't hurt his reputation ;)

Anyway, my sweet spot is '80s road bikes, but I recently came up with a built of one of those that maybe belongs here.

The bike came to me as The Dumpster Queen- a 1983 Raleigh Marathon. I found it in a dumpster.

HPIM0458.jpg

I outfitted as a backup commuter bike and light tourer, a role it filled for a couple years.

0127101738-01.jpg

About a year and a half ago, DISASTER! I took it to a charity ride and had a run-in with another guy in the parking log. My chain got caught and it trashed the derailleur.

P2040005.jpg

Ugly. I liked the bike, though, so I hung onto it, thinking maybe I would make it into a single speed at some point. Then, a week ago, I came across a good deal on Craigslist: a 700C wheel with a Sturmey Archer 2-speed kickback hub. Time to get busy.

I straightened the dropout as best I could with a wrench and hammer massage.

P2040012.jpg

I got the wheels on it; this might just work:

P2090001.jpg

This morning there was a bike swap, and I picked up some bits I needed, including some pedals and wide cruiser bars (complete with cork grips). It all came together nicely and I took it out for its first ride today.

P2120006.jpg

P2120005.jpg
P2120007.jpg

So far I've got about $80 into the bike, plus some parts out of the garage.

I rarely post here, to be honest. Like I said in the first post, I've gotten to know Charles (ride with him pretty frequently, actually). I went to the Dallas Ride and Show back in 2009 and joined back then. I've made only a few posts since then. I noticed you posted in the first thread I posted in. That may be where we first crossed paths.

I say if you like 80's road bikes post away as much as you like.It may be RATRODBIKES but there are originals of every generation all over this sight and all appear appreciated.Nice bike you have there man!
Matter of fact I just refurbished a bone original 73 Krate bike and folks love it,just goes to show bikes are bikes.luv it!

I've dressed the Whip up a bit. Longer handlebar stem, Brooks saddle. More comfy.

103_4527.jpg

I've had it out for a few rides now. Kind of a neat ride.

8513481504f7fb4de2f1bc0.49850172.jpeg

15482474914f8d0443b44206.23470758.jpeg

20448975424f8914980be344.89283834.jpeg

It was a bit awkward to ride at first, but I just had to get used to riding more upright than I'm used to. With the sprung Brooks saddle, it's really comfy. I'm into the bike for a little over $100.

I like the update especially with the 2 speed hub. I would be careful of that dropout. Seems like a long ways to bend steel back.

I hear ya. I think the stamped dropout can better take it than if it were forged. Thank goodness for cheap bikes.

If it does break, I have another frame waiting in the wings. I've also noticed that the fork is tweaked- the crown does not line up with the axle. :shock:

Cool, really tall bike. Whats that about a 65cm frame? :mrgreen:

In constant pedaling it's fine, never slips, but,

1. Hard to tell you're in low gear when starting out; only way to know for sure is to pedal and if it feels too high, try downshifting.
2. Shifting isn't uniform; sometimes a stout backpedal won't do it; other times the slightest backward motion will shift the thing.
3. Sometimes takes it takes several attempts to get it to shift.

I got the wheel cheap of Craigslist so it's fine for bopping around the neighborhood with the wife.

If I were going to build up a new wheel though, I would go with an SRAM Automatix. That hub shifts when it wants to, not when you want it to, but I had an older Sears bike with the Sachs precursor to the Automatix and I really enjoyed the shifting action of that hub. Much more predictable, even though you can't control it directly. The old Sachs always shifted down to low gear when you stopped.

Latest posts

Back