My swingbikes & a link to a survey to see if they should...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay, so I like swingbikes...

I built a 16 for my kids in about an hour to see if they could ride it. It worked pretty good so I spent a little time to build a better one. I was curious to see how well it would sell. It went on ebay for more than twice what I hoped to get,so I started another one that will be even better. I am just not sure if I want to sell it when I'm done or keep it for the kids. Here are the pics so far.

1 hour test bike.
bikepics099.jpg

This is the one I put on ebay. It had over 30 people watching it.
bikepics121.jpg

Here is the new on so far. I have a 20"springer and some other parts on the way from Fast Eddie.
004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Re: 16" SWINGBIKE

who doesnt like swingbikes !!!

nice goin on the $$$ too !!! looks like ya got a good thing going :D

Okay, I got the springer today and I'm not sure if I like it or not. I kind-of like the idea of having it more like the originals. What do you guys think?

001.jpg

002.jpg

i vote no springer, it just puts too much on the bike. the other fork is much simpler, and looks like an original SB.

i vote these things are awesome either way!

I made some progress on the swingbikes finally. I still need to make a new seat cover for the 16"er. The red one is a 20"er and will be apple krate style. I have a '68 style seat.

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

Re: 16" SWINGBIKE and another 20" bike

Here is the red one ready to box up and sell.
It just needs cables and grease. It could use a new slick. I have too many bikes. I will have a hard time letting this one go. Maybe if I don't ride it I wont become as attached. It will probably go up on ebay in a week or so.
IMG_2190-1.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2193-1.jpg

IMG_2194-1.jpg

IMG_2196-1.jpg

Re: 16" SWINGBIKE and a new 20" swinger

the red one is awsome what did it go for?

Thanks!

We will see soon if it actualy "pays off". I have a couple more thing to do before I put it up on ebay. The yellow one only had about about $50 into it. The red one has more $ into it than original swingbikes are going for. I just hope the five speed part helps. If not, I will make space for it.

Here is another one in the works. I found some really cool black fabric at walmart I want to use for the seat cover. Paint isn't perfect, I was hesitant to use black on a swingbike. It isn't flashy enough, but I think it looks okay.

IMG_2217.jpg

i've never heard of these before. when did they come out? they look very cool. what are they like to ride?

They originally came out in the '70's. They were made for a couple of years. Then in 2003, 250 more were made. I am having tubing bent and building these. I am almost done though. I hear that they might be produced commercialy again in the next couple of years.

They are a blast to ride. I am going to make a new video soon with these nicer bikes and some of the originals. Here is our first video with home made recycled scrap metal swingbikes for those who haven't seen it. This was befor I knew I could have tubing bent locally. The red bike used to be part trampoline part VW, part air compressor.... The orange ome my brother made with left over roll cage tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5P70XtI4zQ

great thread. you do great work.

To ifitsfreeitsforme, Thanks! I appreciate that.

To everyone else, Thanks for the comments too.

To FOUND OBJECTS, It didn't meet the reserve. I wasn't sure it would. I had more into the parts than some original swingbikes sell for. It makes it kind-of tough to beat. I will try a local swap meet on Saturday. Then if it still hasn't sold for at least enough to cover a little more than parts, I will sell it at cost to someone who emailed me earlier about it, and it will go to a good cause.

I still plan to finish building the black one. But then I will try to quit for a while. My garage is filling up. :D

Latest posts

Back