My Schwinn project. Updated 05.07.08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't really decided exactly what I'm going to do to this one, but I want something fun to cruise around town on and ride to the weekly cruise ins in my city. I think it's a decent bike to start with. Let me know what you think.

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1640.jpg

Re: My project

not a good bike at all. better send it to me sooo ya don't have to think about it.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Nah you don't want to start on a bike like that..It's not even cool.. Just send it to me and I will get rid of it for you.. Who is Schwinn anyway?..lol just joshin ya..

Shine it up and ride. Schwinn had very good quality chromework and paint so I think you will be amazed at how that will clean up with a little elbow grease.
I have a bike that could be that ones twin, rust and everything :D

2manybikes said:
Shine it up and ride. Schwinn had very good quality chromework and paint so I think you will be amazed at how that will clean up with a little elbow grease.
I have a bike that could be that ones twin, rust and everything :D
I actually kind of like the distressed look it has now. I think it adds character to it. :mrgreen:

It certainly would polish up nice, thats for sure. Either route you take she's a beauty!

fyi I just noticed in the pic of the rear wheel you're missing a spoke. I'll gladly dispose of that defective bicycle for you. I'll even pay to ship. What can I say, I'm just a nice guy :lol: What year is it? I'm guessing early/mid 60's.

I'm pretty sure I have a spoke that will fit, am looking for a bike to put it on. Your's will work fine. PM me for shipping instructions. :) Love it. All it needs is a little cleaning and ride.

my typhoon had the same non-schwinn pedals on it too, may they were alternate pedals for schwinn at some point in time ?? or meybe they just look so close to the originals they got used as replacements alot

I think it looks pretty neat in its original state. I have always had good luck taking a Saturday to completely tear down a bike, clean it up, wax it, then put it back together. This way, you get all the nooks, and small areas clean to. That old paint will really buff up nice.

I did a little work on it yesterday afternoon. So far I have a whopping $10 into this build and that was for the Serfas grips I bought for it. The Schwinn was given to me by my grandpa. His neighbor was going to throw it out and he rescued it. The front end parts came off a ladies Roadmaster with a cracked frame that my dad bought for parts and never used it, so he gave it to me..
IMG_1683.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

I did a little more work on it Monday after I got home from California. My latest additions to it are the chrome headlamp and repro Schwinn Approved grips I got from Manny's Lowriders in Marina del Ray, and the chrome dice valve caps that came from Spokes n Stuff in Los Angeles. I replaced the bent pedals with some Odyssey Triple Traps. I switched the rear wheel, crank, skip tooth sprocket and chain from my Roadmaster parts bike, dropped the seat a bit and pulled the rear fender and rack.
IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

A couple pics with some of the other cruising bikes: my chopper, two sting rays and my girlfriend's beach cruiser
IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

Latest posts

Back