Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
msQx6sp.jpg
tvedOg8.jpg

Custom E-Cruiser v2.2
RuffCycles Dean2.0 Frame - TSP Cycle Farms Demon Springer fork - Bafang BBSHD mid drive - Shimano 3-speed IGH - Lepper Hammock Saddle - Shimano hydraulic disc brakes

Last edited:
nice! what headlight did you end up going with? i'm stuck on if i put a larger one or a smaller like yours.. i like yours and how it sits on the springer fork

That is a pretty cool battery bag on there.

That is a pretty cool battery bag on there.
Thanks. Alpkit made a great custom bag and it was the least expensive custom bag I could find. Once they had my template, I had the bag here from the UK in a little over a week. I was very pleased. Their custom bags start at under $100.

Killer stance. E-bikes just don't normally float my boat - but I'll happily make an exception with this beauty.

Very smooth, love the frame and the way you French'd in The electrics, What motor and battery BBSHD I'm guessing?

Nice! Which 3-sp IGH are you using? I have a Shimano Nexus Inter-3 ... but I think I am going to switch to a fixed gear or single speed hub, just not wanting any chance it will go out on me, I know I could live with it stuck in 2nd (1 to 1 ratio) so I am positive I could live with a single speed.

Nice! Which 3-sp IGH are you using? I have a Shimano Nexus Inter-3 ... but I think I am going to switch to a fixed gear or single speed hub, just not wanting any chance it will go out on me, I know I could live with it stuck in 2nd (1 to 1 ratio) so I am positive I could live with a single speed.

I use a Shimano Nexus 3-speed internal hub with a disc brake adapter. People have been running 2000w plus on these without issue as long as they don't shift under load. From what I have read, it is just as sturdy as a single speed while in 2nd (1:1 ratio) but since there are some fairly big hills here in Nashville I really like the option of being able to shift down to 1st in order to climb them. I really only use 3rd on long treks where I set the assist to the lowest speed and pedal along to save more battery because while using pedal assist, and with the way I have it geared, it goes faster in 2nd than it does in 3rd. If it was flatter here I might have gone with a hub motor versus a mid-drive. If I was considering a single speed I would definitely have gone with a hub motor.

The hardest part for me to figure out was the best combination of cogs to get the right ratio and offset of the cogs to get the right chain line. I went through at least 20 rear cogs and about 5 front cogs trying various combinations until I got it right. I also had to find a beefier circle clip than came with the Shimano to keep the cog on the hub. That one took me way too long to figure out.

Another thing to consider is this. If you climb hills often the low gear in the IGH will help you keep the RPM of the BBSHD in a more comfortable range, thus reducing heat of the BBSHD. Would you rather replace an IGH or a BBSHD?

Hi, there. I really like the new bag. I just have to think of Michael Keaton in the Robocop remake: "Make him more... tactical".
Are the front and the rear tire the same size?
I have a Nexus 3 an I feel the range is just too narrow. While I am rather satisfied with its top speed, I would like more lower gears for climbing hills.

Robocop (1987) is so close to my heart I can't bear to watch the remake, but I do love some Michael Keaton.

The wheels are both 26" x 80mm. I had considered a 29" for the front but there are too few fat/plus/baloon size tire and wheel choices at that diameter. I think my fork would support it but it would even further limit tire choices.

I agree that the range is narrow but I wanted an IGH for aesthetics and according to my research a 3-speed IGH was the only choice to handle the power of the BBSHD unless you have room in your budget for a Rohloff. Unfortunately I do not. I tried a few different ratios between the front and rear cog and I think I came to a nice spot eventually even if I am not able to pedal along at full speed. At full speed I am basically just spinning the pedals with no resistance.

Did you consider an 8 speed shimano alfine on that bike?...I have one on my city bike that I have a 48 v 750 watt bafang kit on ...they compliment each other nicely....I think the wider gear range makes the bafang kit operate more efficiently...

Actually NuVinci hubs are pretty cheap these days. They can be bought for as little as 150 euros.

I really like the idea of the NuVinci, but, by some accounts the NuVinci wouldn't handle the power of the BBSHD or it would handle it for a time but then give out. I'm not sure how long NuVinci will be around and I liked the shifter-lever options with the conventional IGH options. Also, I wanted something I could easily replace and find parts for if damaged.

Last edited:
Did you consider an 8 speed shimano alfine on that bike?...I have one on my city bike that I have a 48 v 750 watt bafang kit on ...they compliment each other nicely....I think the wider gear range makes the bafang kit operate more efficiently...

I looked into those but most of the forums and articles seemed to think the 3-speed would be more reliable with the BBSHD.

Latest posts

Back