My new Roadmaster needs a year.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am trying to date my Roadmaster. I just aquired her from a old guy who couldn't believe i wanted to buy it from him. Well I have fallen in love with this one. Any information anyone could help me with would be appreciated.
I would like to aquire a tank. But. I am not sure what will fit. I have gone thru the bearings and it is sound. This one is a keeper to me. B 02690. C is the number
20171223_082253_HDR.jpg
20171223_081437_HDR.jpg
20171223_081331_HDR.jpg

Thanks
Larry
20171223_082253_HDR.jpg

It looks great, even upside down!

With the Cw, and it's features, I would guess it's a 48 or 49 model. Others here know more or remember more than I do, but I think that's pretty close.

“Hi I am trying to date my Roadmaster.”
“Well I have fallen in love with this one.”

Whoa! Things are moving fast!!:giggle:

Beautiful Roadmaster! If the paint is original, it looks amazing for its age!!!
I agree with @Wildcat I was gonna say 40s, and he narrowed it down more then that

Wildcat is just about spot on. Look carefully at the suffix and you'll see that it's actually a letter C with a tiny w nested inside--this identifies the manufacturer as Cleveland Welding Co. As I understand it, the use of Cw (alone) dates from early 1947 though mid-1949. After that, ACw was used until the end of 1951, and Cw along with a two-digit year thereafter.

Consequently, your frame dates between 1947 to mid-1949. Looks like a repaint from the photos, along with a handful of non-original parts. Saddle, stem, pedals, and grips are all replacements for sure.

Here's an example of how it may have appeared when new.

e701f2b0.jpg
Thank you so much. I put the seat stem and handlebars on as they were in unfixable shape. I would like to restore it with the appropriate pieces. I just need to learn more. Like are there certain tanks that are correct and other sized frames. I thank you again.

The tank you are looking for is frequently referred to as a "3-gill;" so called due to the three small louvers you'll find stamped along the leading edge. While locating a set could prove challenging, it isn't exactly a grail-quest, either. Many were produced and they pop up from time-to-time. Some examples were smooth-sided, others had a scallop stamped in relief along their length. Both versions fit this frame...and the frame was not exclusive to Roadmaster. Since you are already substituting parts, I wouldn't quibble too much over precise originality.

Having said that, I'd also caution you not to discard the pieces you've removed, regardless how "unfixable" you deem them to be. I've seen the craftsmen (and women) in this community repair some pretty messed-up parts. What might be beyond your abilities today, may not be tomorrow. Judging by the condition of what I see, it's hard to believe any pieces are that bad.

The tank you are looking for is frequently referred to as a "3-gill;" so called due to the three small louvers you'll find stamped along the leading edge. While locating a set could prove challenging, it isn't exactly a grail-quest, either. Many were produced and they pop up from time-to-time. Some examples were smooth-sided, others had a scallop stamped in relief along their length. Both versions fit this frame...and the frame was not exclusive to Roadmaster. Since you are already substituting parts, I wouldn't quibble too much over precise originality.

Having said that, I'd also caution you not to discard the pieces you've removed, regardless how "unfixable" you deem them to be. I've seen the craftsmen (and women) in this community repair some pretty messed-up parts. What might be beyond your abilities today, may not be tomorrow. Judging by the condition of what I see, it's hard to believe any pieces are that bad.
Oh thank you. I have not discarded any parts. I just had to ride it. I unexpectedly just had cancer surgery. They replaced my face with my shoulder blade " yes they can do it'.so i have time. I am cancer free WOW. I sure appreciate your help i am just tryi g to learn as much as possible. This forum has been a great Christmas present for .e
Me.
Tbank You

Oh thank you. I have not discarded any parts. I just had to ride it. I unexpectedly just had cancer surgery. They replaced my face with my shoulder blade " yes they can do it'.so i have time. I am cancer free WOW. I sure appreciate your help i am just tryi g to learn as much as possible. This forum has been a great Christmas present for .e
Me.
Tbank You
That’s awesome to hear!! Stoked for your recovery!

Yes, yes...a quick and complete healing, new friend! If there is anything to be learned from antique bicycles, it's that...things endure.

Congrats on the recovery!

This CWC bike I had didn't have a Cw, and was late 46, or early 47. Serial began with "J". Probably the next run starting with "A" had the Cw added.
Note the two fender braces on the rear fender. Mine was a basic model new with no rack on the rear. Those CWC bikes that came with racks had only one rear brace, so your rack was added on.
My seat has a piece that slides over the post like a sleeve to fit the standard seat bracket to the 5/8" seat post.

154frkn - Copy.jpg

Latest posts

Back