My new Hawthorne: Dig the CRAZY front end!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this today for $115 off Craigslist. While it is clearly a hodgepodge of parts, I feel like the crazy fork/springer/truss/headlight assembly and the Hawthorne pedals are worth my investment. These may end up on my 1930's Columbia/Westfield build. See photos below.

• Could this be a 1930's frame?
• Is this front end authentic? (I mean, I smell a Rat-Rodder in the woodpile here...)
• Clearly this should be a skiptooth, but isn't...right?
• Dig the rims
• Cool FAT fenders, but don't seem to be original
• Seat is a <gorgeous> Del Sol I just added for the test ride, seat that came with it was not original

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any insights before I decide to tear this down for parts.

Thanks,
Tim

P1050132.jpg

P1050133.jpg

P1050134.jpg

P1050135.jpg

P1050136.jpg

P1050137.jpg

yeah, everything seems to be original but the tires, seat and grips. Missing the original rack/carrier, horn, tank, chain guard, horn button & seat

It's a Snyder built 'thorne, they started using that blue & red M/W 'crest' badge in 1950. There's a theory that Snyders have the year stamped in reverse on the BB, aside from the serial #. I saw a mid 50s version on the Cabe just a while ago, and it was stamped '55EH', so a 1950 could be stamped 05 and two letters. Not a guaranteed ID though, as there's no serial info available, the company closed in '76. -Adam

Latest posts

Back