My Motorized Rat Project (I have brakes!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-29

Well, today I got the overall frame finished (I hope!) Still need to plan out the clutch and brake system. If I can make them both work off of 1 pedal or lever that would be great!

CIMG0757.jpg

I added supports to the motor mount, its not going anywhere!

CIMG0759.jpg

I fixed the rear wheel alignment.

CIMG0760.jpg

Back on its wheels, MTB tire on the back and an old one on the front.

CIMG0761.jpg

Motor is test mounted and it fits perfect! The motor mount needs a little trimming

CIMG0749.jpg

Messing with the idea of using a brake lever as a throttle. Seems like a lot of work.

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-29

stretch said:
where do you plan on getting a belt to fit?

I plan on putting 2 junk belts together once I have everything set up and then go to my Local NAPA or hardware store and then they can match it for a good belt.
The belt won't actually be too long. Some of my garden tractors have had longer belts.

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-30

here is an idea for a throttle. find a thumb throttle off of a 3wheeler or 4 wheeler. that is what i used on my murray-works perfect! :D

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 6-30

posted a pic to show you how mine was. the atv bars are the same diameter so it works great!
104_4766.jpg

Re: My First Rat Project (motorized) Update 7-8

Well, I've been taking my time on the fabrication but its starting to come together.

I have a hand brake as a throttle and it works great. I have the clutch mostly together and overall it should be mechanically sound by tomorrow with brakes!
On thursday I am going up to my cabin and I'm taking this little monster along for some cruising. Nice open flat country roads...going to be awesome!!!

CIMG0845704x528.jpg

The foot rest bar thing is the top bar from a old MTB project I had, Murray thing... and the exhaust is just some pipe thrown on for the time being. Makes a huge difference! Sounds awesome when cruising.

Here is a video of the engine running. It runs super smooth and has a lot of power for only 1.5hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nLIAKsZgwY

Re: My First Rat Project (Update 7-9)

thats flux core. the tell-tale white residue and the lack of a nozzle on the tip.

Re: My First Rat Project (Update 7-9)

Well, some of ya wanted to see riding pictures. Sorry but I only have one for now...
It was taken up at my families cabin. This think rides nice on country roads :)
While up at the cabin the red seat I had on the bike broke apart (Literally) so now I have a nice seat from a Schwinn on it.

The main thing I need to finish for now...BRAKES!!! I need them :lol: I am also going to try a set of Ape-hangers, like stingray size on it.

6489_118641638267_594693267_3041261.jpg

I took video on a ride, but I need to edit it a bit and throw it on youtube. I'll post it when when I can.

Re: My First Rat Project (Update 7-20)

More work and fabrication...

I got a nice set of handle bars on now, stingray style handle bars. Rear fender is also fitted on now and I started on the brakes (which I need badly!)
I am going to use the coaster brake for stopping, I might add a front brake later on if I need to.

CIMG0905.jpg

CIMG0906.jpg

CIMG0907.jpg

CIMG0908.jpg

Re: My First Rat Project (Video Added)

lace in a disc brake for the front, believe me it helps.

Re: My First Rat Project (Video Added)

Its been too long since I did work on this thing!

Well, it stayed the same as the old pic for a while. Ride around a bit, still thinking about getting brakes... :roll:
But after I took it to a tractor and vintage engine show (It was getting a lot of looks) I found a few parts and such so now I have it upgraded.

As for the brakes thing... I am going to have a MTB front fork with brakes, its mroe sturdy and it will stop the darn thing! It will also have a foot pedal to use the rear coaster brake. AND!!! A Hand brake. It will looks like a suicide shifter but you pull back and it rubs a skid on the rear wheel. 3 brakes should stop the bike. I hope...

CIMG0057.jpg

After I let my friend ride the bike, he broke the seat so I threw on the banana seat from my chopper. I am thinking sissy bar!

CIMG0058.jpg

Found a 3 speed pulley. The middle one is about the same size as the old pulley I had on the engine before and that one same me about 20mph. On the large pulley I fly!! The small one does nothing. Too much slack in the belt :lol:

CIMG0059.jpg

Got a new carb! Its better than the old one for one main reason, now I can have an actual motor-bike gas tank! I have plans to get a nice 3/4 gallon tank. should be enough :D Also added old bike tire rubber pads between the engine and mount. Thinking of doubling them up. Less vibration is good.

Re: My Motorized Rat Project (Update 9-02)

Ok, the carb is going. I am putting the old one back on. The carb I put on it is pissing gas even when its running. The throttle is super sensitive ad I can't get it set right to have enough power. Plus, on every bump I hit the engine looses power due to the float in the carb bouncing around. Old carb was simple, easy to set, foolproof, and it WORKED!
I would rather have a better running engine than a longer run time.

I do have a vintage gas tank that I might set up to hold extra gas under the seat. A bit of gas line and a shutoff?

Too much work to do

Re: My Motorized Rat Project (Update 9-02)

I can finally stop this thing :lol:

The old front forks were pretty weak and would wobble at high speed. So, not feeling the need to wait until I have a face plant crash at 20mph I swapped the forks out for a set of MTBike forks. I had to modify them to fit but they work. Now I have front brakes! Now it also has a cool "Sportster" look to it. Along with the forks I also made a new exhaust for it, put back on the old carburetor and gas tank, and redid the clutch. Tore it apart, rewelded it all, added guides and bushings so it all doesn't wear out.

All I really have left to do is rear brakes, then the fun of cleaning and painting it.

CIMG0104.jpg

CIMG0103.jpg

CIMG0105.jpg

CIMG0108.jpg

CIMG0105.jpg

Latest posts

Back