My Holy Grail has arrived...'68 Orange Krate.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So last weekend, I sold the blue Fastback and it was a bit rough on me. You probably know the feeling, you want to sell it but you also want to keep it. It's a viscous tug of war. Now, rewind about 4 months or more. I got a text from a friend's mom before Christmas who knew I was into Stingrays. They saw an Orange Krate at an antique store about 40 minutes from my house. As with any Krate, it wasn't cheap but I explained that it wasn't a bad price considering. Over the next 4-5 months I thought about that bike daily. It chewed on me but it was a decent amount of money and I wasn't ready to spend it yet. Well, since selling the Fastback, I've thought about it hourly. Today I shot him an offer and I now own it. It needs a lot but a good cleaning is the first priority. I'm finding out quickly that Krate parts aren't cheap. I'll be on the hunt for the correct seat, sissy bar, chain guard decal and rear tire. You just don't see them close to home typically so looking past the roughness, I'm happy with the purchase. The seat pictured is one I had along with the sissy bar. Incorrect to the original bike but much better than what was on it.
4d6aefd612abe42267280e59a6f7c9d2.jpg

89ec5e71b3fe8db7f8484dff0f1d60d1.jpg

Beautiful.

I've never ridden one (although I had a similar bike when I was a kid), nor have I seen an adult ride one. Does it feel like a kid's bike?

It does but with the seat cranked up and large handlebars, it's reasonably comfortable for a full size human. I'm 6 foot tall and have no problem riding a Stingray.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

I have a 68 Apple and it may be the nicest looking bike ever sitting still. Riding it? Not so much. Its a heavy bike with lots of flex in the back (shocks) and front (springer). You will get noticed though!

Looks like you have a great start - mostly there. I would try to get that guard screened if you can find someone. Pete is out of the biz but supposedly he sold the equipment to someone else who was getting licensed by Schwinn.

Enjoy!

I have a 68 Apple and it may be the nicest looking bike ever sitting still. Riding it? Not so much. Its a heavy bike with lots of flex in the back (shocks) and front (springer). You will get noticed though!

Looks like you have a great start - mostly there. I would try to get that guard screened if you can find someone. Pete is out of the biz but supposedly he sold the equipment to someone else who was getting licensed by Schwinn.

Enjoy!
I've been trying to figure out the chain guard situation, that really "makes" the bike. Hopefully I'll come up with something besides the water slide option.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

Been cleaning on this today, feels a bit less overwhelming after a trip to the car wash. It's gonna clean up better than I thought. Grips, seat, sissy bar, and chain guard decals and it will be in good shape.
133823664e900405ceb74dbb8cdd7ced.jpg

I assume the front tire isn't supposed to be completely bald?[emoji12]
69d60fe7a81059fb388016eb0bab9825.jpg

Nice start! That is one bald tire buddy!Lol! You also want to keep an eye out for an pogo seat post for it also, it would have also came with an orange line knobby rear tire, near impossible to find. What's the serial no on it?

I don't have it with me but I think it's an October of '68 bike. I think I remember reading that the Pogo seat was discontinued in August of '68? Heck I don't know, I'll believe anything I read.

I had an October 1968 Orange Krate. It had a regular seat post, an orange seat and gold dot brake levers. The seat may have been replaced in the 1970's though as well as the rear slick. The post and brake levers I think are original to the bike since it was late in the model year.

upload_2017-3-22_20-45-35.png

Enjoy!
I agree, I used to have a 69 Apple. I like the rigidity of Fastbacks.

Krates, you gotta love them. Nice bike

Latest posts

Back