My first real build; Klunker/commuter-ish

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well, I should have started a thread earlier but I've been collecting parts to make something like this for a while.

My original plan was to make a true balloon klunker for bombing around my dirt roads on. Then I got this chrome, skinny 27" fork and was given a lightweight drum brake wheel so I decided I'd stick that up front for a dragster kind of look versus relacing it into the mtb rim and buying a different fork.

Just mocked up and trying things out for now. I've got cables run and will get the derailleurs all adjusted tomorrow. Then I've got this big 5/8" steel spike that I'm going to make into my seatpost. I needed a long one since this bike will actually be made to fit me for commuting. Then I'll probably go with a dark brown Wrights leather saddle I've got laying around. Bars may get flipped depending on fit and comfort; I know those aren't traditional rat qualities :lol: Also, sorry for the extremely busy background in the pictures :|

I'll need to come up with something for a rear brake. Ideally, I would love clamp on cantilever studs but I don't know which brands ever made them so I don't know where to start searching. Also, for the drum brake, I need the actuator arm. I'm 99% certain it's a Sturmey Archer drum of the 60s-70s vintage. It's got a square receiver that measures just over 1/4" so probably 6.5 or 7mm? If anybody can help with either of these, that would be amazing.

DSCF4207.jpg

The, always fashionable, rear quarter:
DSCF4208.jpg

DSCF4202.jpg

This looks nice 8) ....looking forward to your progress.

sandmangts said:
The drum brake looks like a Union. http://www.clunkers.net/tips/tips.html Check out Mr. Tick for bolt on canti brake bosses. http://mrtick.us/more_products_to_buy.html

Thank you! The section that my original picture shows does look like those Union ones but the rest is different (I wish it was a Union!). Here's a picture of the whole thing. Also, I found the axle nuts used to say SA on the ends :lol:
DSCF4203.jpg

DSCF4204.jpg

Houndog said:
That has a nice stance...

Thank you! I got the saddle on it today in all its raised-up glory and it really completes the look.

Derailleurs all adjusted, shifter moved about 8 times before everything routed correctly without hitting the frame or sliding around, took for a ride and seems to run excellent! You don't realize how strange it is to ride with zero braking capacity until you do it :lol:

Here she is mostly finished. Just need some braking method :| Rides, shifts and feels great otherwise!

DSCF4222.jpg

Beauty. I like that shifter. There is a thread on here somewhere for "urban klunkers", similar to yours. An urban klunker may work well for me, since I am no longer able to pedal a heavy klunker up the hills on the trails.

The drum could be a Gremeca or it is a cheaper made in tiawan knock off. Still, they were pretty well made. The spoke guage means it is probly from a tandem like a town and country or something. Cool bike for sure. Lacing up those slotted eyelet hubs is a ......

Latest posts

Back