My first ever Biopace (Oval) chainrings

Discussion in 'FRESH FINDS' started by jayblok, Aug 20, 2019.

1. jayblok

jayblok

Went to dump some stuff at the local recycle center and the person in front of me had a couple of mountain bikes in the back of their truck they were going to dump. I parked and got out of my truck and asked them how much they wanted for the bikes,they said go ahead and take them for free.
    I got home and after further inspection ,realized that one had the biopace oval chainring and the other was also oval but not labeled biopace. I have always wanted to try oval chainrings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. toro1978

toro1978

Pretty cool. They looked round on first glance so I had to zoom in and take a closer look. Even went and read the wiki article on them.
    You have to report how they feel once you install and try them.

horsefarmer, jayblok and RustyGold like this.
  3. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

The blue one is a freakin' Miyata and they've made some pretty sweet frames over the years. Too bad it's the less desirable step-over design.

As for the Biopace rings...you don't see them made anymore, so that should tell us something. When I first encountered them, I thought they were bent.

4. jayblok

jayblok

Yea man,that's what I was thinking at first until i searched online for "Biopace" and the word "oval" popped up and this link popped up : https://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html
    I will most likely put these chainrings on fat bike projects i'm working on. Right now i'm on a marathon of restoring and flipping mountain bikes. :whew:

horsefarmer and toro1978 like this.
  5. deorman

deorman

Had a Mongoose with Biopace at one time, slightly different feel to shifting front ring was all I ever noticed. I suspect round rings are cheaper to produce, and not enough benefit to justify the cost.

6. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

I’ve got an 80s Peugeot with a biopace on it. Down tube shifters.... Aero bars....modern Xero 700cc wheels and computer. Thing is a rocket. If your’re going to do some serious riding you’re going to love the biopace. Seems like it delivers more torque?

I scored the bike loaded, ready to ride with look pedals but less the xero wheels n computer for $125 at a garage sale. I Had no idea what a biopace was! I thought Someone damaged the chainring and it was out of round!!!! Lol.

I pulled the bike apart, stripped it, painted it in matte red n black, put it back together, tuned it, threw on new wheels, saddle and computer and rode the thing in a professionally sanctioned bike race, the bike across Florida. -at the time it was the single longest one day ride in North America.

I trained for the race on a wal-mart mongoose mountain bike but on rides over 40 miles would switch to a vintage Raleigh Technium. (Gotta keep it classy!)

I only did one 20 mile test ride before the race on the Peugeot with biopace and it felt like nothing else I had ever ridden.

I showed up on race day with an “antique steel bike” and guys were laughing at me. One guy told me “you’re riding a steel bike? Uh.... I guess it’ll ride nice.”

All these guys dressed up like Lance Armstrong with $5000 shop bikes... the $125 Peugeot with biopace blew their doors off.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Ya, it's pretty similar to the old guy in jeans and plaid on a Klunkerz blasting past $4000 downhill rigs. The kids can't even believe a 26 inch wheel will roll!

8. Rust Buzzard

Rust Buzzard

I've got a bio pace bike. The advantage is that it allows the leg muscles to flush. Acid build up is defeated!

Be prepared to meet other riders if you run any bio pace stuff. They will tell stories of knees exploding like hand grenades in only a few blocks!:acute:

Grant likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant

I had them on my first road bike which was a 1993 Miyata 7-21. I did not notice anything. I had them on this 1988 Trek singlespeed. I did not notice anything. I was around 12 at the time so I did not notice. Non round chainrings are coming back, but they are more square looking than the Bio Pace. I did fix up and sell a Canondale from around 1995 with Bio Pace.

10. Grant

Grant

I found it. The chainstay broke while I was riding it. I did part it out.
    DSC00340.JPG

jayblok likes this.