My First Cantilevered Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Being out of work for months now, and with my unemployment running out, I've come to the conclusion that it would be a good thing if I could make a couple bucks on this hobby, so I'm going to be making a few frames to sell. Hopefully they actually do sell!

Since I want each one to be a bit different, I thought I'd attempt my first cantilevered frame. I started with a template of my "standard" Science frame shape:
IMG_1432_zps7f8b6727.jpg

I then bought some 1/2" tubing, and laid down the cantilevered addition.
IMG_1433_zpse994700b.jpg

I would rather have used 5/8" tubing for strength, but I have a 1/2" conduit bender, so it made more sense to use what I could bend.
IMG_1434_zpsa3fef807.jpg

After I welded it up, I saw the problem. The way I put it together, the seat stays are too close together for a rear wheel. Crap! So, I cut them apart, and put in some bar I had on hand to give it space, kind of mimicking how the Reaper frame does it.
IMG_1435_zps7d9128e5.jpg

I like it so far, but because of the small tubing used, I have decided to put in a seat tube for rigidity, which I normally don't do.

Looking good so far. I used 3/4'' on my first Schwinn stretch and bent it around a table.
It bends really nice if your not doing it tight. No kinks or anything.
Not wanting to tell you what to do , but the money to be made is in a cool fork. You might think about
it as an avenue to produce something that everybody wants. If you can design one they will
sell like hot cakes. :wink:

She's done. Here is another progress pic, and then the finished frame. I really like how the finished frame looks with the seat tube added. That made it come together, I think.
IMG_1436_zps676ee78f.jpg

IMG_1437_zpsde4fbc71.jpg

After the last shot, I welded in a seat post that barely pokes out of the tube. I'll be putting some parts on it, just to test it out, but otherwise, this frame will be going up for sale soon.

Latest posts

Back