my childhood bike - The Silver Bullet - more upgrades

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having fun on this forum since I joined earlier today, so I'm going to post my Rat Lowrider as well. To start, I have to share the story of when I got it, when I was around 7 or 8. (I originally posted this in another forum):

When I was a kid and got my first bike, I was so overjoyed at the idea of having a bicycle, that I had no clue that parents had pulled a switcheroo to save money and given me a girl's frame spray-painted blue. I proudly rode it up and down my grandparents neighborhood, while all the other redneck kids laughed at me. Finally one of them explained that my bike was a girl frame, and I didn't believe him. To prove his point he pulled out a pocket knife and scraped away a little bit of blue paint from the fork to reveal a pink gloss finish underneath. I was crushed. My bike then sat for a little while, I refused to touch it. My parents didn't understand or care. Then one of the older kids from the neighborhood offered to fix my bike for me, and he took it, and swapped out my girl frame with an older boy's frame, one of the little stingray styled frames. It was spray painted silver and looked sweet, my first cruiser! I didn't know the difference as a kid, but my bike was already ratted out! I loved the bike after that, and rode it all the time, which started my lifelong love of bicycling.
1441337932_590e9e8793_o.jpg

So I since have dug out the bike from the depths of my grandparents garage where it sat since I had grown out of it, and into a cheap BMX style around age 11-12. Of course I had to see if it still worked:
1437094079_1885979397_o.jpg

The tires still hold air! I had planned on maybe trying to chop it or something, but then realized it was still fun to ride just as it was... with a couple of modifications:
2106651956_a75e0b8022_b.jpg

The banana seat came from a Raleigh Rodeo that my buddy was fixing up, and the fenders from some other bike he had sitting around, so instant Lowrider! The day after I "upgraded" I brought the bike down to NYC and rode it around Brooklyn to Bike Kill wearing a Viking costume. Good times. I think I am just going to leave it like this for the rest of my life, or until I ride it into the ground. Those are still the same tires I rode on almost 20 years ago. Nice and smooth for cruising now.
The other lowrider is a cheap bratz bike gotten off CL for my GF so she could go cruise with me... But guess which Lowrider she prefers? And guess who ends up riding the sparkly purple one? :lol:

Re: my childhood bike turned into Rat Lowrider

That is a very Cool bike you have there. I ride some girls bikes into town but nobody makes fun of me because kids now days don't know what girls bikes look like lol, they're too busy on their video games. But your bike looks great! I really enjoyed your story. 8)

Hey welcome Dude,Man what a cool story.I also got a repaint bmx when I was a kid.I had no idea either until a kid said something.I can also tell you that I would kick the S*#t out of those rich kids with the high dollar bikes.I would jump that bike waaaaaay high.You are so lucky to still have it.I would give anything to have mine back.I would keep it just the way your parents did it way back when.The history,Ya,know?

great story i am always touched by stuff like this and i always run and hug the lucky 7 (which is sitting right next to me as i type). it does not matter if it is not the most cutting edge boardtracker or the next greatest thing in kustoms it is what it means to you that makes it what it is. right on for resurecting her i dig what you did. makes me think of my schwinn fair lady that i learned how to ride on and it is sitting in the garage as i type as well. hmmmmmm

heh heh heh. my first bike was a yard-sale-special Rollfast painted red with a brush. i remember that it had a blue-and-white banana seat and middleweight handlebars, and maybe red tires, but that's all I remember... it was replaced by a new 3-speed Kent imitation Stingray in metallic barf brown with red and orange trim. (hey, it was the late 70s...) i broke the frame in short order. wonder what ever happened to that rollfast...

--rick

Great story and you stirred memories of the first bike I ever really cared about, my 10 speed Raleigh Chopper. It was my 3rd bike and the only one that has ever been stolen from me in my lifetime. Bought it for $24, which I got collecting cans in Isle Lamothe in Vermont. We use to spend the Summer there. Thanks for stirring up those great memories and share Bike Kill with us sometime.

Since I first signed up here and posted this, I have spent more time thinking about and researching my bike. First thing that I remembered was that as a kid I had called this my "Silver Bullet". Funny how those things come back to you. The name still sticks, that's what I refer to it as now. That or "my first bike".
Secondly, I finally looked at the serial number. Starts with BF. By my research, it's a 1970 Stingray? I also took a close look at the paint. Seems to be a rich metalflake green underneath the silver spray paint. Does this sound about right?

So I have been riding this thing in it's rat lowrider set-up since i first dug it up last fall, but recently I've wanted to make some upgrades, so that I can ride it faster and farther. I have already replaced the seat and sissy bar, and I am working on replacing the bars too. These parts came from a modified SpaceLiner I recently found (which got upgraded with more appropriate parts):

I stole parts from this bike:
2446354901_729de0d125.jpg

I will soon post pictures of the bike in its new gear (which also includes a 3-speed upgrade. I can't wait. Stay tuned!

awesome story. you should check out my spaceliner thread in fresh finds. i found a pretty nice one.

HA HA HA...YES! DOWN WITH "PREPS" !!! Ughhhh.....boy.... :roll:

some fresh parts on the Silver Bullet:
2808206812_01443c5314_b.jpg

So far I've added a new fork, new seat and sissy, new bars, and some borrowed wheels and tires from a different bike, as well as fenders and a repop chainguard. Future plans are to install a shimano 3-speed coaster wheel I got from yeshoney and a shortie click-shift stick that I got from Jim at the Muscle Bike Museum. But for now I am getting by with the one speed, those tires roll pretty smooth. I even rode this to work twice this week. The high-back sissy bar came in real handy for strapping my bag to.
2807359581_c2ae435670_b.jpg

and of course I had to find a new way of hooking up the down low glow, not enough room on the downtube of this bike. Here it is when I got home:
2807361501_305bd28213_b.jpg

On my lunchtime ride home I had some kid catch up to me on his bmx and stop me to ask me about the lights. He had a flashlight in his hands that he was using to light his way.

Anyway, It's exciting to be riding the same bike that I learned to ride almost 20 years ago, it still feels the same. I am planning on bringing it home with me when I go visit Endicott for my birthday and high-school friend's wedding. And I am going to ride it up and down the street I learned to ride it on :)

Re: my childhood bike - The Silver Bullet - upgraded and updated

Neat and sweet! I'm going to start a thread called "My First Bike", as these stories are always interesting! ~Adam

Looking better then last weeks ride!..........Hey ya need a spiffy looking head badge. :lol:

KOTA said:
Looking better then last weeks ride!..........Hey ya need a spiffy looking head badge. :lol:

Ha, nothing has changed since last weeks ride except I moved the bars forward for my longer arms. But thanks!

And yes, I am looking for schwinn headbadge screws if anyone has a couple they can part with. :)

More upgrades since I last posted on this thread:

3605836537_2fca6c6999_b.jpg

I installed a headbadge, swapped out the crank for a longer one (for my longer legs), and installed the 3 speed.

3606655002_822955e716.jpg

3606656888_b048d9e9fd_b.jpg

I ended up going on a ride with a bunch of old school BMX dudes today and they dug this ride.

I'm definitely happy with it. Might be done upgrading. For now.
3606657652_7123325bf6_b.jpg

That's awesome.I hadn't seen this before.I got a schwinn bmxed out when my first bike got stolen.I loved that thing.Very cool you still have yours. :mrgreen:

thats a really cool story........I can see a young kid in your face when your riding it.......Thats really rad.......With all the upgrades you have done came out sweet..........Prob one of my favorite stories on this site.......Thanks for sharing........Pop a wheelie for all of use getting old men over here..... :) .......Laters.....

Latest posts

Back