My build for the bare metal challenge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the nuts are to hold the tank straps. Wood dowels can be easily threaded by the nut so I can hold the nut tight against the inside of the tank and in place while welding. Using screws to hold the nuts might allow the screw to be welded also. Wood can only burn, not get attached. :lol:

Okay, holes are drilled in the tank for mounting. I went an unconventional way for the door. An antiqued brass screw for the pivot, and another screw and chain link for a latch. That means the tank is almost done. I still have to make the straps. I'm going now to get the spacers to mount the fenders since this is 26" setup on a 28" frame.
SANY0669.jpg
SANY0670.jpg

I've started on my chainguard. I originally wasn't going to go with one, but with cold weather coming I'll be wearing pants so it might be needed. I'm using a 60's roadmaster guard. It has the front frame clamp, and the rear clamp will be cut and welded in the down position with a small piece added to clamp the rear section to the frame. I have made clamps and secured the tank, and added a front fender which I'll show later. Nobody seems to be checking these build threads, but here goes anyway.
SANY0672.jpg
SANY0673.jpg

I feel like I need more random accessories. The chainguard is done as far as the welding. A few more patches of red to get rid of but I think I'll try paint stripper for the hard-to-get-to places instead of more sanding.

I used E-Z Strip Gel on my frame and it worked well. I just had to be patient. I hate that. I've heard that the citrus strippers work also. I think they would be nicer to work with.

The details are hard aren't they. I struggle with trying to keep stuff minimal.

I think your bike looks great, it may not need a lot of little stuff tacked on.

Latest posts

Back