My Best Craig's Find Yet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this Nirve Fifty-Three on Craig's yesterday, picked it up today. A few scratches but near new condition. Still has the plastic cover on the headbadge. Best $150 I've spent in a long time. I'm thinking about a set of Electra 24" Straight 8 wheels (3 spd, black checkerboard rear with red spokes fr & rr)) and some black fat rubber if it will fit in the springer. The springer looks pretty narrow. Have to do some checking. Has anybody tried this with a similar Nirve. If it works I'll scrap the fenders and chainguard.

I agree. I rode this bike a bit yesterday after I cleaned it up and the springer is great. I have a Nirve Skulls but the Fifty-Three is much more comfortable.

Thanx, Guys. I emailed Nirve inquiring if there was enough clearance for fat 24" tires and wheels on this bike and they told me the older model "Skulls" cruiser with the same frame had a springer front end. I'm seriously thinking of buying a set of Electra "Straight 8" wheels and some Thick Bricks for this bike. If you're not familiar with the wheels they're black with red spokes, 3" wide and the rear has a checkerboard pattern on the flat. Its also a three speed internal. I'll remove the fenders and chainguard and install some black bars and grips, a black crank and chainring and spray the springer black. I"m also going to do away with the front caliper brakes - useless. I think that may be a cool package for not a lot of money invested. Opinions?

Wow, two weeks in a row lucked out !!

I lucked out again today, aluminum Phat cruiser, converted from 21 speed to Nexus 3. Conversion done within the past few weeks, everything new. Weighs 30 pounds as it sits. Alum bars, fork, frame, seat post, wheels. Basically the way it looked when I picked it up aside from a cleanup and a few accessories I had laying around. Not bad for a hundred bucks. Rides, shifts great.

I think the Straight 8 wheels would look great on that. I have a Straight 8 and really love it ;)
If nothing else, just a Straight 8 on the rear and the stock front (maybe black/black) would still look cool. Motorcycle style ;)

Awesome price on both of those bikes !!! Not too crazy about the Phat design but $100 for a 3 speed with a bike attached aint bad at all :) If you are looking to get a set of straight 8 wheels you might want to act fast, they took the wheels off the electra store when they ran out ... i don't know if that means they may retire the straight 8 soon too but it could be. Does the Nirve have details on the fenders too ?

Thanx for the tip, Jeremy. I just ordered a pair from Amazon to be on the safe side. Should be here by 3/25. I've been using the Phat cruiser for the past few days and its really an impressive bike. Really nice, comfortable ride and super light. The frame is what drew me to this bike - something different from my other bikes.

Got my rear Straight 8 wheel, shifter, cable and controller today. Front wheel due on the 28th. You can't beat Amazon for service and shipping. Thanx again for the tip, Jeremy.

Cool deal !!! I didn't even know you could find them on Amazon :eek: I've got a wheelset too waiting for the right bike :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back