My '92 Cougar: Starting the paint process

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well after selling my van I rode my bike to the store and I got chased home by a Cougar! Born in 1992 but still purrs like a kitten.
IMG_2872.jpg

It even has some ATP rims and newer tires on the back. Infinity 6x9's and a nice cd player with USB hookup.

IMG_2868.jpg

It got bumped in the back end but not bad. He installed some cool bolts to hold the trunk down for the authentic Frankenstein look... true rat rod fashion! Glass-pack muffler so it sounds good too. It's a 3.8 V6 automatic, power windows, power locks, tinted windows, a 3 bike trunk, and I don't have to worry about scratching my $400 beater.
IMG_2874.jpg

More pictures of my new ride, I got the door panel put back on, fixed the driver's side seat belt A-pillar track that didn't work (it just made noise so I unplugged it) and put the dash back together correctly. Washed it and cleaned the rims, and put a few well hidden drywall screws in a few places.

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

Only damage on the whole car is the bumper cover, tail lights, and trunk lid. Few hundred at pick a part and it'll be MINT! I really want to find a trunk with luggage rack.

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

Searching body kits and replacement bumpers (wasting time) lead me to this kinda cool kit for my cougar... www.Easyrods.com

I have seen these before but forgot all about them.

Screen-shot-2011-09-13-at-2.26.20-AM.png

51f1-700x525.jpg

Just bought this old 1987 Mazda B2200 pickup this morning. Saw an add on Kokomo Craigslist asking $185 with no title. I went out to look at it 7 miles west of town and we struck a deal for $160 and it cost me $85 to get it towed home so now my Cougar has a friend. I figured it'd be a good investment.
00707_bh06_Ld_PWV4_A_600x450.jpg

00_Z0_Z_hc4s_IOOy_Vk_A_600x450.jpg

Well I got some armor-all wipes and went to work on both my Cougar and my new Mazda pickup and got both swept out and cleaned up. Looking spiffy.

IMG_2902.jpg

90% rust free
IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

No rips, few stains but I haven't cleaned it yet
IMG_2911.jpg

Dash shined up well
IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

Under the hood there is this little 4 banger with a blown head gasket
IMG_2912.jpg

But I started noticing things... It's a 2.2
IMG_2913.jpg

New starter down in there
IMG_2920.jpg

New alternator
IMG_2919.jpg

New Weber 2 barrel carb
IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

This don't look stock
IMG_2917.jpg

Also cleaned up the Cougar
IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

Those old b-series pickups are awesome; the 2200 4-banger will run forever. Will you be able to do a title search or some other outside-the-box method to get it registered in your state? Here in NJ, the DMV rules the roost, and they're supremely strict....

Well I got two options with the truck, one get a complete cab with title and swap the parts over to the other truck or part it out and make a grand or more.

Why can't you get a title for it? The weber carb is worth what you paid for it. Parting it out would probably net you at least 1K.

$5,000 tax lien on it. But if I can find a good cab with title I can build it from ground up easy enough or find one that is rusted in half cheap and repair it with the parts from this one. Or find an old model T body and build a rat rod with it... already got a header pipe, Weber carb, exc.

holey smokes...5K...how the heck to you get a lien on a vehicle in Indiana..I guess there is a property tax every year that you have to pay and if you are not driving it, it just keeps accumulating??

I don't know, it could be property taxes, child support, who knows. I'm thinking more and more about trying to find an old cab for a Willy's pickup or an old model T cab with title and build a Rat Rod. 4 cylinder 5 speed would get great mileage, it's 2 wheel drive, I could sell off the body panels to finance the build. Make a flatbed for it.

I had a 93 Cougar XR-7. Had to have the heads redone on the 3.8, but it was pretty reliable after that. Never could get the ac to take any freon for some reason. And, had similar problems with the auto. belts, they'd work-occasionally. Wound it back then unplugged the motor. -Adam

I had a 93 Cougar XR-7. Had to have the heads redone on the 3.8, but it was pretty reliable after that. Never could get the ac to take any freon for some reason. And, had similar problems with the auto. belts, they'd work-occasionally. Wound it back then unplugged the motor. -Adam

My passenger belt works fine but I did the same thing to the driver's side, it didn't move just made noise and drove me nuts. I just keep it latched and after sitting down I just throw it over my head to put it on. So far it seems pretty reliable. Still in that phase of testing and not driving too far till I get to know the car a bit better. So far I know it has a power steering leak but I put a bottle of Lucas stop leak stuff in it and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Still learning it's little quirks and such. Needless to say I keep tools and fluids in the back just in case.

Now the XR-7 had a supercharger didn't it? I read on wikipedia that some had a 3.8 with supercharger. I'd love to get one for mine.

yeah the little Mazda would be a good candidate for a new 'body' it does have a full frame. Model A body...etc....

$5,000 tax lien on it. But if I can find a good cab with title I can build it from ground up easy enough or find one that is rusted in half cheap and repair it with the parts from this one. Or find an old model T body and build a rat rod with it... already got a header pipe, Weber carb, exc.
you can buy a junkyard cab and mount it on that chassis
i think you will be good then
that weber carb will get you a couple hundred easily
its a good lookin lil truck ashame to part it away
can also use ford ranger parts i believe i think they are the same truck just badged differently
either way good luck with the truck
sean

Latest posts

Back