My '72 MantaRay build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to me! I started building up this junk frame I came across. I had to search for info online and came across this wonderful forum!
So I guess I'll share with everyone- It's a '72 Schwinn Manta Ray (24" wheel)(I was calling this a Fastback at first, due to some slight ignorance on the matter) that I started with just the bare, bent frame and crusty bars and neck in the pics. I want something clean, simple and fast. So it's getting some modern lightweight parts and will be one-speed with nice, tall gearing. I never put this much $$$ into a bike build so I hope the final product satisfies me.

So far it's had mounts added for linear-pull brakes and been powder-coated white. I bought a few parts and have some parts at the chromer right now. It'll need a couple other things, including extensive pinstriping, and then it'll all come together.

Check out my pics and tell me what you think!
0804082020.jpg

0814082040.jpg

0902081951.jpg

0902081955.jpg

0902081952.jpg

0902081950.jpg

Re: My '72 Fastback build

24" "fastback frames were actually Mantarays :shock: not too many of those floating around either :!: i like were your going with it though. white is one of the more under-rated bike colors in my opinion, luck on the build, keep the pics comin.

And Welcome !!! :mrgreen:

Hey thanks. Guess I didn't do as much research as I thought. I remember seeing something about Mantarays though...

I saw some new bmx bikes in white and it just sounded good. Black and silver striping will look good on it too.

lookin good man. keep the pics comin! youve definately inspired me to paint my next bike white!

Easy E

Hey thanks! Chrome wasn't ready when it was supposed to be and still refreshing my hand-to-brush dexterity before I lay some striping on this frame. Will fabricate my aluminum seatpost and kickstand in a couple days- definitely some pics then!

Well I obsessed over this thing all last week and got it together to ride yesterday. I went out to Ventura with my girlfriend and rode all along the beach. This bike is pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. It's light (for an old schwinn anyway), smooth and fast. I'll show a few pics of recent progress up to current point, which still isn't done.
Oh, and I realize this bike isn't all that "ratty", so to speak, but it's mild-custom, and built in my shack of a garage. I do most build-ups in a very "rat-rod"/ shadetree style. This is the first bike that I've completely re-finished or replaced with new absolutely everything on it. Very satisfying! Anyway, enough rambling....

Machining some 6061 aluminum tubing for my seatpost. (This is on a friend's lathe, my garage isn't so nice!)
0911081819.jpg

Here's the seatpost and kickstand after being welded together.
0911081929.jpg

I had to machine out the hole in the sprocket to fit a onepiece crank too. Then added my name to it.
0911082148.jpg

This is how to keep your handlebars from moving when riding. Have to get it right though, no adjustment!
0910082052.jpg

Detail of chrome on crank. I believe this was a Bontrager bmx crank. Looked cool but the low area around the design and backside of arms had a rough cast-like texture to it. Sanded smooth everywhere and then let the chrome guys finish polishing out. Looks a lot better now.
0910081940.jpg

Coming together...
0910082148.jpg

Here it is! Not quite done, but in rideable condition can determine what else needs to be done. My custom seatpost actually got stuck in the frame, so can't go any lower than that. For now.
0913081631.jpg

My girlfriend riding it
0913081637.jpg

So I still have to pinstripe it, add the front brake, and possibly redo the seatpost. I forgot the inner-stopper piece for the kickstand at work, that's why it's not in pics. More to come as it gets finished up...

nice slick lookin bike !!! ya gonna throw a chaingaurd on it ?

definately nice choice in parts already though :D

big thumbs up from me !!!

Thumbs_up.jpg

lol thats awesome ccr!!! this is definately a sick lookin bike and im really jealous of the custom machined parts. sucks about your seatpost thought. looks amazing!!

Easy E

Hey there! My build still isn't complete, but I have been riding it! This bike turned out awesome, almost better than I expected, mainly because it's such a nice ride. I still haven't striped it. I'll admit it, I'm just not good enough yet. Just striped on my lowrider and realized my skill level is just not there yet. Design wise I think it's fine, but the quality is low. Just need more practice to make clean lines!
Anyway, with this thing, it's all together. Still haven't mounted my badge. I bought another lever so I could mount a front brake but haven't yet. Not sure If I want to. It's pretty clean without it, but there are some hills around here. I bought a new seat, which is lighter than the old bmx seat it had. I polished up the aluminum kickstand I mounted it. It broke off in my hand when I tried to move it from up to down position. I guess the weld didn't penetrate well enough. My seatpost hasn't snapped off and gone thru my femoral artery yet though! Hooray!
But all the light parts must've paid off, as you can see in the pic of on the scale. I'm not sure an old schwinn could be much lighter, unless you wanna spend serious $$$$ for all carbon fiber and titanium components to put on an old steel frame. It's got plenty of gear to cruise at speed, can maintain 15-20mph pretty easily. But maybe I need more. 52 teeth?

Just wanted to put up some more pics.
0929080812a.jpg

0920081851c.jpg

0920082009.jpg

Dude you rock.. I respect your eye for originality. Simple but cool

I agree, slick clean bikes like that are the coolest kind. Less is more. Except for when more is really really cool.

That turned out great. I really like simple clean bikes like that.

Did you weld the brake post on yourself?

Not exactly myself, my friend Joe welded for me. He has a much better feel for it. I didn't even do any grinding on those welds before powdercoating- that's how smooth they are. I did grind and sand down my seatpost weld though, so it could polish out. Those are two pieces where it goes from larger to smaller diameter right under the seat.

Nice clean bike.The pins are really gonna pop.Can't wait to see it. :D

Latest posts

Back