My 67 Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Here's the one that started it all for me. You can thank this puppy for inspiring the forum. Bought her for $50 from a guy who kept it in a storage shed. All I did was remove the fenders, add the headlight/taillight and threw on some new tires/tubes and added some correct handlebars and grips.

Only real future plans for this bike is some sweet daddy pinstriping by a brother named Tex. He striped the wheels on Jay Leno's O.C.C. bike. I may also add a beat up rusty springer if I ever find one cheap enough.

100_1232-1.jpg

100_1343.jpg

T4.jpg

T3.jpg

Oh...and here's a before photo.

typhoon1.jpg

Ha Ha...that bike was completely transformed and then eventually sold to a friend of mine.

It really was the inspiration for the forum though.

That bike looks great. I love Coppertone.

My first bike on this compulsive path was also a a Typhoon. It is a 1980 that I picked on a whim off ebay for $17.00. It was in a small town called Franklin Furnace about 3 hours from me, but I just happened to be passing through for work a few days after the auction ended. It was spray bombed for either a 4th of July parade or for a Superman fanatic. After a month of nights in the garage, I had completed it. I only intended on it being a one time thing... cut to a few years later and lots of bikes...
I think when I joined this forum there was only about 600 members.

I know I've posted this bike on here plenty of times before, but whatever.

Before
4288640576_5b0da3123f.jpg

After
4287899993_dc98de85ae.jpg

We need a "first rat bike" thread. 8) My first wasn't a "cool" Schwinn, it was my Firestone. Me and Rusty513 bid on and won two almost identical bikes from the same seller on ebay, drove out to North Vernon, Indiana to pick them up, I think member Murraymadman may be friends with the guy actually. That was like 3 years ago, and I still have the bike, it's just been through about 20 theme changes. Joined about the same time as GTCOMA, some 600 members like he mentioned. Who knew this site would be close to 4,000 members by now! Lot's of cool people, lots of cool bikes.

My first jalopy.
PICT3580.jpg

steve that is still one of my fav bikes ever. it is just right i would just add pinstriping personally that bike is a great example of how far the progression has gone since then

Hey Steve what is the start date of Ratrodbikes? I think i started my addiction with your forum in 07. Also the first forum i have ever been so addicted to. Thanks 8)

Wow, hadn't seen this one - all my faves wrapped up in one: Coppertone, Schwinn, cantilever! :mrgreen:

Funny how similar my '66 Panther is!
003-1.jpg

yep i was member #112 or something like that. i did not know you sold that bike steve i wonder where it ended up?

A friend of mine has it...along with another 4 or 5 bikes that I have sold him over the past couple of years.

I joke with him and tell him that one day he will have to open the Rat Rod Bikes Museum....ha ha.

You know Steve if your first few bikes and then alot of the ones you have had since were Schwinns ,I'm surprised that you didn't do the Schwinn forum first. :roll: :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
You know Steve if your first few bikes and then alot of the ones you have had since were Schwinns ,I'm surprised that you didn't do the Schwinn forum first. :roll: :lol:

Well, that IS where I started.

After there was little interest in the custom bikes it was time to start another forum. :wink:

Bike that started RRB bump

Latest posts

Back