My 63 Schwinn 97cc motorized bicycle build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always seem to find something about a build that, 'if it were mine', I'd change.....There is NOTHING about this bike that I would change. Seriously, if it were to magically appear in my garage, it would look the same way in 10 years, 20 years.....

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks Dr. T! I try to keep my creations clean and simple. That's the hard part right? Of couse using 3D CAD helps me figure it all out before I cut or weld a single piece of steel.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I always seem to find something about a build that, 'if it were mine', I'd change.....There is NOTHING about this bike that I would change. Seriously, if it were to magically appear in my garage, it would look the same way in 10 years, 20 years.....

Cheers!
Dr. T

63 Schwinn 97cc board tracker (idler and heat shield update)

Over the last few weeks I finished the exhaust heat shield and primary chain idler. I noticed a huge difference in how smooth the bike transitions from a dead stop, to full clutch engagement, to top speed. Note that I now have a primary chain idler, (engine to jackshaft input) and a final drive chain idler. (Jack shaft output to rear wheel)
BTB-rear-idler-view.jpg

BTB-primary-idler-view-1.jpg

skillsthebarber said:
what are these things called that the brakes are attached to? I need some of these for my build off bike? thanks
Brake-close-up-view.jpg

They are custom fabricated to put modern brakes on a vintage schwinn frame. Here is the construction. The split shafts clamp on the rear of the frame so you do not have to weld them to your frame.
Rightrearbrakerefassy2.jpg

harry76 said:
Very very nice. That brake idea is genius!!!!

Thanks for the positive feedback(s) on the brake bosses. They work great might I add. I've been running them for one season with no issues. The split shaft collars "clamps" hold tight. I've had no issues with them shifting after I installed them. If I had the time to make a good welding jig, I'd make them in bulk.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Where can one purchase a "split shaft collar"?
Just askin'.....for now. :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Dr. T

A good Ace or True Value hardware store carries them. They have both metric and standard. The rear frame tubes on my 63 schwinn measured .551" so a 14mm split shaft collar fits perfect. I used split shaft collars for my motor mounts as well. 1.00" for the bottom two mounts, and .625" for the top mount. They work great. You can order them online though http://www.mcmastercarr.com . Just type in shaft collar, and navigate to two piece clamp on version.

These split collar thingys are very useful..... ive seen these used to make replica 2 piece boartrack handlebars

Hi Dowie
We are all little kids when we see a build like this that we can all see ourselves enjoying the
dream of getting on this awesome bike and riding it ourselve. Thank you for sharing the pictures and that only proves that anything is possible as long as we believe it could be built and the genious it takes to actually achieve it.
lmpromo11
Harvey

Wow, all the great fab work and detailed cad images. You could make some serious coin if you took orders for some of your fab'd stuff. I love the rear break mounts, but unfortunately don't have the equipment to make them.
:D

Ok off topic, but is that a flat head I see in the back round? nice :D like they say hot rods don't have valve covers :lol:

what cad program(s) did you use to do that model. id love to be able to do something other than blueprints. thanks.

phusion x said:
what cad program(s) did you use to do that model. id love to be able to do something other than blueprints. thanks.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Keeping the design simple is the hard part. I used an engineering program called SolidWorks to to the 3D CAD modeling, renderings, and blueprints.

The hot rod in the background is a 1931 Ford Roadster with a 1939 Flathead V8 motor. My board track bicycle has a 2.5HP flathead as well. Flatheads forever!

Latest posts

Back