My 63 Schwinn 97cc motorized bicycle build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome build!!!

Sorry if this is a newbie question but where did you get the motor? Was it a kit?

D4NK said:
Awesome build!!!

Sorry if this is a newbie question but where did you get the motor? Was it a kit?

Thanks for the positive feedback. No kit here. This thing is built from sweat and tears. The motor is a Honda / Lifan 97cc 2.5hp four stroke, flathead, sidevalve. The clutch is a Hillard #35 12T. The motor mounts and related are hand made. The rest of the parts are 90% vintage Schwinn. It rides great. I'm going to swap out a sprocket to give her a little more low end power. Right now the top speed is around 33-35mph. I'm going to scale it back a little. I'll get some video footage on youtube next weekend if I can.

wheres my welder? i am now officially gona build a 5 horse bike like this 8) once i get my welder working and some steel then ima buy a cranbrook so i dont feel bad about chopping up a jaguar :mrgreen:

That is one sweet ride man. Where did you pick the motor up from?

Here are some pictures from last weekend. I think she's all dialed in. I changed the jack shaft output sprocket from 10T to 9T. I've also added a modern rear V brake, and a chain tensioner.
Left-iso-finished-view.jpg

Left-front-iso-view.jpg

Chain-tensioner-view-1.jpg

Brake-close-up-view.jpg

Engine-close-up-view.jpg

Left-iso-finished-view-2.jpg

Rear-finished-view.jpg

Right-iso-finished-view.jpg

Right-motor-close-up-view.jpg

bikebum1975 said:
That is one sweet ride man. Where did you pick the motor up from?

The motor is a 2.5HP 97cc four stroke flathead. I bought it on ebay for $90.00. It's a Honda Lifan. I wanted a vintage Briggs, but they were too expensive for my budget.

man sweet build!! how did you figure out the gear reduction ,a four stoke engine would be cool on my bike not to mention way more reliable and sound better!

dash said:
is your sprocket mounted to a free wheel ? how did you pull that off?

The right side is pedal assist with a free wheel.

The left side is motor assist with a free wheel.

The gearing is all math. My blueprint drawing calls out the sprockets and ratios. I ended up making my jackshaft output sprocket 9T vs 10T to gear the bike just a little lower. Perfect.

The speed is now 29.4mph at 4,200 rpm.
BTB-blue-print-view-1.jpg

chainmaker said:
Nice looking bike..did you fab those rear brake bosses, or where did You get them those are sweet.

Cheers
About those rear brake bosses?????

Latest posts

Back