My 63 Schwinn 97cc motorized bicycle build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures from my first vintage bicycle build. It all started with a 1963 Schwinn Jaguar frame I picked up about six weeks ago. I decided that I wanted to build a cool rat rod motorized bicycle, board track racer. Built not bought! I've designed, engineered, and fabricated this from scratch minus the vintage Schwinn parts. My goal is to use as many vintage parts as possible. All the motor mounts and metal fabrication is done from scratch. I'm an engineer so I made a 3D CAD model / assembly of my build before I cut any metal. So here are some pictures of my CAD work and then the beginnings of the build. I'll update this post with more pictures as the design progresses. I'm designing around a 97cc, four stroke, flathead motor. Accordining to my calculations it should go around 31.7 mph at 4,200 rpm.

Dowie
BTB-rear-view-rendering.jpg

BTB-front-view-rendering.jpg

BTB-blue-print-view-1.jpg

BTB-motor-mount-view-1.jpg

BTB-jack-shaft-view-1.jpg

BTB-miter-seat-view.jpg

BTB-top-view-1.jpg

BTB-side-view-1.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet build, around here I'd get pulled over on that in a heartbeat, I love it!
Ha Ha That's funny. Where I live the cops slow down to see if I'm a little kid. As soon as they see I'm in my 30's (35) they wave and keep on going. One of the benifits of being an older (kid).

Dowie

Dowie Soetenga said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet build, around here I'd get pulled over on that in a heartbeat, I love it!
Ha Ha That's funny. Where I live the cops slow down to see if I'm a little kid. As soon as they see I'm in my 30's (35) they wave and keep on going. One of the benifits of being an older (kid).

Dowie

Yeah but they like to harass me, I'm the kid who used to put 440 snowmobile engines on anything with wheels, and mod mopeds to go 75MPH+.......They don't like me.... :lol:

Wow, I am really impressed with the pre-work that you did. That 3D model is amazing. I'm interested to see how you go about making the tank.

Cool build! I also like all the preparation before starting the job.
This one should look awesome, congrats on a great start and Welcome to the forum!

Dr. Tankenstein said:
WOW! This is awesome, I LOVE CAD drawings.
I have one question, will the exhaust and left side drive train get in the way of....your thighs?

Cheers!
Dr. T

Good call. I will have to create a heat shield of some sort. I haven't fabricated the header yet, but that's in the near future. the front end is next. I'll update new pictures as I complete things.

I got the 52 Monark front forks installed last night. I had to get some special vintage bearings and races from the local Schwinn shop. Next I have to fabricate custom fork rocker plates and spacers to accommodate my vintage Atom drum brake set up. The bars still need to be cut back a bit.
BTB-front-fork-view.jpg

Latest posts

Back