Muscle Memory - Painting Candy Brandywine - Out of Time 09/07

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a while since I have built a Bike, between getting married, kids and buying a house it doesn't always allow for additional money on side projects.

Getting a few years deeper there's a bit extra and an added insentive to buy another bike. Teaching my 2 daughters how to ride bikes has encouraged me to get my own bike again, the problem is it's not going to stay stock for very long.

I am going to start this build off with an Australian built Reproduction Bike, based roughly of the Dragster Bikes of the 60's, 70's and 80's. The Jube Shifty. They ran a smallish production run of these bikes in a few different varieties and continue to change up the roster every couple of years. No new ones have been sold for a while so I had to find one previously loved.

Found this one a 1000km North and shipped it back. Been holding off modifications for the last month so I can build along with everyone else here.

Bike Info and Original Sales Photos form their Website

FEAT:

- 3 Speed retro top rail stick shifter and hub(by Sturmey Archer)

- Higher 400mm Ape Hanger handlebars

- Matte Black and Matte Brown frame options w all black accessories

- Banana Seat & Sissy bar in 2 tone black and brown
- Front and rear 60mm super wide alloy rims

- 22x2.5" (F) & 20x3.0" (R) V tread chuBBy ruBBeR

- Rear duck tail mudguard

- Front and rear 160mm Disc Brakes

- 4 bolt BMX style headstem

- Wikked graphics by local Brisvegas (Brisbane, Australia) artists LOA BRANDING

a26421f59f99a71c54d9f4b70c5f836f.jpg
2d3889320e39c2b2445598481a68845a.jpg
b1d26719fb3eee4a94de96d7d3048ec0.jpg
d8a3d586472553d1b18c8d8e62445fbc.jpg

Last edited:
Got my first parts for the build.

Will be using this Seat as a Plug / Buck for my Fibreglass Seat Pan. Wanting to increase the size a touch and look at adding some padding under leather. Will be heading to Thailand in the next month so might try bring the seat over there for leather work.

The Seat was $21.99 AUD with Free Post from eBay. Same as all the other one on AliExpress and other Overseas Trades. Not bad quality for the price.

Blue Brake and Gear Cables. Continuing with the colour theme, but a lighter blue. I want a full range of Blues with the Black and Silver. Originally got the idea from the Harley

5fa5a4ce7f5c5adaf4f8a86bcf6e2360.jpg
12705a8a9df2862becfa4c55c5869f3f.jpg
dfb9ff2627dd973dc4b05faf2091a876.jpg
53b6e651f92716bccb877a35030c36ce.jpg
6902231da057add4817778dd390ec157.jpg
f638471a01c4d1c8e2e3099a4078b606.jpg
b7af5859eacc8222c344aa97d3b4c640.jpg

As another Southern Hemisphere builder once said about my first build off bike photo....
"Is that the start or finished photo?"~@Glen

Cool ideas! And a very RaT-isfying bike to start with...RaT oN~!

That is a very nice base to start with, also the colors go very well together.

That is a very nice base to start with, also the colors go very well together.
Thank you. Happy with the colour combo. Went through a few different designs over the last month saving a heap of photos and designs to see what I was going to stick with.

Last edited:
As another Southern Hemisphere builder once said about my first build off bike photo....
"Is that the start or finished photo?"~@Glen

Cool ideas! And a very RaT-isfying bike to start with...RaT oN~!
I feel a bit out of place with a "New" bike, but the plan is to do a lot of replacing, relocation and changes to make it my own.

Will be relocating the Brake Cables to hide these a bit more and relocating the brackets / shifter lower down in front of the crank. New Handle. Currently where it sits is a little problem. Bumps into the Handlebars at times.

New Fenders which will have to be widened to suit the 3 inch rear and 2 3/4 Front.

Last edited:
Cool bike nice starting platform. Once your girls see the finish bike you will have to build two more in a smaller size .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cool bike nice starting platform. Once your girls see the finish bike you will have to build two more in a smaller size .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oldest has already requested a new bike moving from 16 inch to 20 inch.

Youngest has said she doesn't like the new seat because it's too small. We can just manage to still fit her and I on the Banana Seat for rides.

More encouragement for her to get off training wheels and onto her own bike.

Last edited:
Ordered a few more parts. Thinking I should have ordered all of this before the build off. A lot of you have a secret stash at the start all ready to go. It's so quick to be bumped to the last page.

Bought a Triangle Headlight and still deciding to go with the Yellow tint on the glass or leave as is. I think it might be a bit larger than I want but will see once it's all here. Bought the tint and a squeegee to try it myself. No fun in buying it pre tinted.
3dcc1f7041339e7b7f338e694a564636.jpg
eac40664a0b4c8c545cb596bfa2ec023.jpg

That's a really cool looking headlight!

If you use a blow dryer, you can stretch the film around the edges so it doesn't get wrinkled where it wants to shrink.

Shifter Update

It's always seemed to have a extra bit of movement on this shifter. Took it apart and seen the problem. The tab connectiolng to the shifter was bent slightly. Replacement has been ordered, a bit more expensive than expected but the overall product im happy with. Should be here by the end of the week.

Placement will be behind the seat. Didn't much like it on the top of the frame. Attached a few photos of similar setups to give you an idea. Would like to get some ideas to make it more of a solid shift linkage rather than cable. Will have to look into that. Will change the mounting tab to only one as there isn't much need for the otherwise of the plate as seen on other builds. Will Tig this to the frame hopefully this week.
838c8eefd5b6bcff17e38cb12f94afae.jpg
afede450d70a219f5f59a16ddd99a7f8.jpg
641475861a8f68b09a71a40e6352fff2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back