// Muscle Drifter \\ Reverse trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left my tools on the job site today. I'll take them home with me tomorrow and unbolt one of the tie rods to get a solid measurement with them bottomed out.

steering bar done , ill mount both links on the same bolt , one on the bottom one on the top
that was made with oval tubing and every holes have been capped
bearrings have plenty of grease too
DSCN7092_zpsrfyjolty.jpg

and intalled that aluminum/fiber composit mud guard i did not even remember i had
threaded the dropouts and made sturdy mounting rods
DSCN7093_zpsncyvy9vs.jpg

can't think of anything else too do on this one for now

Still waiting to see what your trick is for the rear tire! :39:
Hope the tie rods arrive there soon, I am looking forward to more!

Luke.
won't have them till mid dec , could be mid january :(

but you will be able to see a bit more
cause i manage to test the steering with steel rods and realised i need stoppers to prevent the wheel from turning to far :doh:
brainstorming at the moment on the best way to do this:39:

Apologize if you know this, but make sure that those pictured tabs for the steering linkage/tie rods are not pointed straight back and parallel, but pointed towards the rear wheel. That's how the engineering of it works.

Apologize if you know this, but make sure that those pictured tabs for the steering linkage/tie rods are not pointed straight back and parallel, but pointed towards the rear wheel. That's how the engineering of it works.
yep no worries , thats how we do ackerman steering :thumbsup: but i need less than normal for a drfit setup

Made the steering stopper and used skateboard bushings as dampers
Simple strong and effective :thumbsup:

DSCN7095_zpsbhtqvpw0.jpg

ill have to get the steering links to see where to weld the front stoppers ,
that way ill have them hit at the same time on both sides at full steering lock

the secrect sauce:cool2:
24%20drift%20tires_zps1pfn9twn.jpg

i use to cut pvc pipes in half /eat them to a curve and rivet them with a plate to form a ring , but last year , the idea of using a barell came to mind and i finally get to try it.
its pvc , 1/4'' thick , 22.5'' diameter
thats why i wanted a 24'' rim
it hold by presure from the tire when inflated and still allow a smooth ride

the secrect sauce:cool2:
24%20drift%20tires_zps1pfn9twn.jpg

i use to cut pvc pipes in half /eat them to a curve and rivet them with a plate to form a ring , but last year , the idea of using a barell came to mind and i finally get to try it.
its pvc , 1/4'' thick , 22.5'' diameter
thats why i wanted a 24'' rim
it hold by presure from the tire when inflated and still allow a smooth ride
Ah! Good thinking!
:thumbsup:

Luke.

how did i only just find this build! im usually all over trike builds :( Awesome work 1hp love it!
well it went pretty quick , only 10progress posts, in 3 weeks time:wink1:

ZzzzZZzzz still 1 weeks minimum before any hope of having my rodends :( iam dying to ride it!

in the meantime i fabricated a higher seatpost that allow me to pedal this normally but still wont get in the way wen iam upright
DSCN7109_zpseax6fw6s.jpg

and axel protection/extention in case it flips and slide , should protect the derailler and the threads
DSCN7113_zpsgmcrl0yy.jpg

Last edited:
tie rods are made and instaled
DSCN7121_zps9xesbnwf.jpg

i had a chance to ride it tonight , it drift like crazy !
but iam having issues with the steering :doh:

1- i made so it steer more than the handle bar input, thought it would be better but it does not feel natural and steer way to quick
2- ill have to adjust it to have less ackerman steering
3- ill need less degree of turn in the wheels , it goes so far i can bearly turn it back straight again = modify the stoppers i just made
4- i never tested the pvc drift tires in the snow , somehow it slipped out of the tire for the first time ever , cold ? ,the fact i have treads on this tire? , drifting harder than ever ? ill have to find out..

camera batteries were dead , sorry no video yet

finally decided to only elongate the steering arms of the wheels ,
that seem to have done the trick ...
gives me more leverage , equal handle turn vs wheel turn , and a progressive ackerman
DSCN7126_zpsfbjqpjlc.jpg

DSCN7127_zpsojgspxlx.jpg
DSCN7128_zpsycoymrzk.jpg

DSCN7129_zpsszsceusy.jpg
DSCN7130_zpswoqdsnjk.jpg

ill try to shoot a riding video tomorow if the the steering fix is conclusive , they predict a little snow too:)

oh Yeah :dance2:
Work so fine now !:113:
the longer arms really was all that was needed ,
sadly there was no snow, the ice ring was really too bumpy and my drift tire is not fixed yet ,so no video today

The way that you have the steering set up it looks very predictable to steer. Great job! Is the learning curve pretty quick to pick up?
pretty ease i think , can't rememeber , i learned on v1 couple years ago .. i think the hardest thing is the cardio , really a full body workout leaning the body while steering and pedaling hard all at the same time

Latest posts

Back