Muscle Bike Build Off....anyone up for it?!?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So having a 24" rear and 20" front means class 2. Having 24 on both ends means class 2. Even though both are actually muscle bikes.

And technically, the AMF 26" I'm restoring is a muscle bike. It was like THE ONLY 26" muscle bike ever produced.... but... I'll just sit quietly about that one.

Anyway, the way I'm reading this is: The MBBO didn't spark enough attention/participation. (I'm sorry I had to drop out last year due to life circumstances) So as a consequence, the MBBO is dead and it's now just a build off for small bikes. The SBBO if you will.

It is what it is I guess. I'll mourn the loss, but I'll still enter a build.

So having a 24" rear and 20" front means class 2. Having 24 on both ends means class 2. Even though both are actually muscle bikes.

And technically, the AMF 26" I'm restoring is a muscle bike. It was like THE ONLY 26" muscle bike ever produced.... but... I'll just sit quietly about that one.

Anyway, the way I'm reading this is: The MBBO didn't spark enough attention/participation. (I'm sorry I had to drop out last year due to life circumstances) So as a consequence, the MBBO is dead and it's now just a build off for small bikes. The SBBO if you will.

It is what it is I guess. I'll mourn the loss, but I'll still enter a build.

The way I read it, 24/24. 24/20, or 26 could all be in class one as long as they have a nanner and apes. You only have to meet 2 out of 3 criteria for class 1

I don't think it means the MBBO is dead...just as I hope the ORBO isn't dead...just a rotation needed to keep interest up when it comes around.

The last set of rules given don't have any restrictions on tire diameter in class 1...Your AMF is good to go under those rules. Class 2 is for 20" (21") , and smaller, bikes that aren't muscle bikes.

Are 16 inch bikes are welcome. I need to finish this one.

20190304_193751.jpg

I guess I could do a 26" rear and a 24" front.
20190909_213914.jpg

But I might rather match that 26 CB with a 27.5 front.

And a homemade banana seat. I got the water ski and skateboard. Just need to learn how to sew.

Have to skip the apes though.

Hey guys,

I’ve recently found your awesome site and would love to join in a build off!!!!

As I’m not a Schwinn guy, (2 wheels n rust and I’m in) I’ve stumbled onto 2 stingray frames in the past 2-3 months and would love an excuse to build at least one of ‘em!

Just let me know the details and I’m in!

All these years I’ve been building by my lonesome! Here’s last summers 1 person MBBO. Can’t wait to join the crowd!!!

Attachments

• 0FD89198-681F-4D3D-91F3-C0A1BE3D108B.jpeg
    0FD89198-681F-4D3D-91F3-C0A1BE3D108B.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 253
Well dooky. I have a nice Scrambler I was thinking of building. 20" buildoff sounded fun... Some Muscle bikes, some BMX, some Pigs. Shoulda woulda coulda been fun. So it's Muscle bikes and also rans... Well I can't afford to build a Muscle bike right and because it's Rat Rod Bikes, rust and fake patina place as high as a tricked out Screamer anyway. I love the fellowship and camaraderie, so I guess I'm in with the also rans...

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind 20 inch but I'm to fat and old to ride them. like to build bikes I can ride its alot more fun for me.

I’m fat and old too..... when I hopped on my summer build (1977 AMF renegade) the other day it felt great and I felt pretty cool. I was feeling pretty spry and ready to go ride a wheelie.

Then I looked down at the tires and they looked like the were ready to pop!

Lol. I decided against the wheelie.

It’s all good. Muscle bikes Make for wonderful shop or home decor!

Just tell me the rules, start date and finish date and I’m in!!!!

Sorry Guys, been away again for a while, huge changes for me lately...

So rule set we settled on was Class 1 as per usual MBBO: (Muscle Bike Build Off)

The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 requirements:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (Wider or taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Muscle bike appropriate bars. (Apehangers, steering wheels...)
You can have all three.

Class 2 is new and open aside from all tires must be under 21" overall diameter.

Dates are Oct 1st 2019 to Feb 1st 2020.

You are expected to start a build thread and post progress pics as you go, please don't just build away and expect to jump in at the last second with a finished bike, you can enter at any time before the deadline, but the build must not be finished when you enter.

If your builds rideability is questionable please provide a riding picture or video, just to quell that question from those that like to cause trouble.

Multiple entries from one builder are allowed, but they must have their own build threads and be entered for voting separately with a single bike voting picture.

Guidelines:

Please don't argue over the rules, this is what works.

Please don't start questioning whether someone's build is a "Muscle Bike", if it meets the rules, it is fine. :thumbsup:

Please keep comments lighthearted and positive, this is a fun build-off, if you start causing trouble you might just get removed... :comando:

Maybe I could put some 20's on this old mountain bike with the super high bottom bracket.
20190811_102919.jpg

But don't think I got any short 3-piece cranks:confused:

I wouldn't mind 20 inch but I'm to fat and old to ride them. like to build bikes I can ride its alot more fun for me.
I’m fat and old too..... when I hopped on my summer build (1977 AMF renegade) the other day it felt great and I felt pretty cool. I was feeling pretty spry and ready to go ride a wheelie.

Then I looked down at the tires and they looked like the were ready to pop!

Lol. I decided against the wheelie.

It’s all good. Muscle bikes Make for wonderful shop or home decor!

Just tell me the rules, start date and finish date and I’m in!!!!
:21:

I'm over 6'4" and the wrong side of 220lbs, and still ride 20"... ;)

Latest posts

Back