Murray maybe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wont throw them away. I dont plan to start tearing this one apart until i get the wheels on the first one.

So i went back and purchased the girls bike because i didnt want it scrapped. Serial number is august of 53 schwinn according to a decoder. Rather then start new i figured id add it here. Any idea on model?
20170916_173108.jpg
20170916_172638.jpg
20170916_172355.jpg
20170916_172048.jpg

Schwinn Meteor for girls, 24". All the other illustrations were 26" with a different chain guard. From the 53 catalog:
1953_schwinn_meteor_24.jpg

You sure that's not a girl's Spitfire? It has the Spitfire badge on it. Same catalog states a 24" girls Spitfire was available--Model J-73. No image, tho.

It has truss rods too, maybe a later addition if its a meteor? Either way at this point my wife laid claim too it she likes it better then the 75 western flyer shes been riding. it gets a clean up and fresh tires.

it also appears to be Murray built, but the serial number is getting me nowhere
My Murray Missile (single top bar) might also be a Gambles Hiawatha, like yours, less the head badge.
There was a site, (since closed), that tried to explain Murray serial numbers, and that a WG-3-* on the left drop-out of my bike, may have meant 1963 Hiawatha. It said that W = 1963. Others have said WG means Walden's-Gambles, (but it may have been Alden's not Walden's associated with Gambles). The website posted that X18, X30 or X31 in the serial number may also indicate Gambles Hiawatha, (but did not say when, or which models, e.g., Murray "Eliminator").

You sure that's not a girl's Spitfire? It has the Spitfire badge on it. Same catalog states a 24" girls Spitfire was available--Model J-73. No image, tho.

It looks like that was the chain guard for all the 24" models. So it may be a Spitfire, because of the truss rods. It looks like both models came with white rims, so they were nearly the same bike. The name may be on the chain guard, it looks like the bike was touched up with dark blue paint. But I don't have a good illustration of the name on the guard.

Here's a 53 deluxe Spitfire 24" model. I think yours is the standard Spitfire. Note the name on the guard.

a3e7e5y7-1-jpg.570088

20170920_152633.jpg
Mine does have holes in the top of the front fender, i havnt touched it in a few days (soaking all the hardware with pb blaster) ill see if i can get anything off the chain gaurd. The bike is certainly a lighter blue with dark blue sprayed over it down around the bottom bracket.

Im keeping the bikes so no huge deal if i can find exact years/models. Ive just enjoyed learning what i have so far.

Last edited:
Going way back too the bike i originally posted this for, the rear wheel with musselman hub does not match the front wheel. Is there a way too date the hub? All the info i can find on musselman is skiptooth.

Asking for some valuation help, i have the drop center rim with musselman hub and the other set with a bendix single red band. May try to sell them locally. Ballpark on what too ask?

20171007_154640.jpg
soap and water revealed more paint then i thought was left! Still unsure what im going to do as far as paint or not. Really need to sell some wheels off.

20171011_175705.jpg

Theres alot of bare metal on this one after OA bath. I knew it was rusty so no huge dissapointment!
20171009_181615.jpg

Latest posts

Back