Murray JetCruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
20190907_185116.jpg
20190907_190805.jpg
20190907_192653.jpg

The Murray JetCruiser. Name inspired by Murray and other bike names from around 1960: Spaceliner, AstroFlite, Fleetliner. Also inspired by my vision for this build, which is to create a comfortable strandie-type cruiser. See the build thread here.

Happy to have finished my first official RRBBO and my second build-off overall. Already gathering stuff for the upcoming MBBO.

The journey:

Got this frame soon after I discovered RRB from a member named GTCOMA.
IMG_7422.JPG

Build #1: Aborted.
IMG_7424.JPG

Build #2: Decommissioned.
20160917_154258.jpg

Current build: mission accomplished.
20190907_072542.jpg
20190907_191037.jpg

Rough parts list:

Wheels, SR chainring, Breezer seat, Primo Tenderizer pedals were acquired in trade or at screamin' deal prices from a friend in our bike group whose garage we have nicknamed the "Warehouse of Wonders."

1961-'63 Bendix RB rear hub picked from a yard sale junker.

Fairdale bars, Sugino spider, Jamis stem were from a swap meet in Westminster, MD last February.

Fu Pao Cr-Mo cranks were donated by another friend in the group who had no use for them.

CST (Cheng Shin) tires and Vans grips were Fleabay/Amazon purchases.

Truss rods: top mount is from an old Schwinn rack, axle mounts are actually battery terminals, rods themselves are automotive brake/fuel line.

Headbadge fabricated from roof flashing from Lowe's (<$1) and stickers cut on a home diecut machine. Attached with 3M outdoor double-sided tape.

Chain and seat post: sources lost to memory. (Chain probably needs to be replaced; it's a little noisy on the rear sprocket.)

Special thanks to @clamdigger for helping out with rear hub parts and to Brian, who leads our local Retro-Ride group, for getting the rear wheel sorted after I laced it up.

Last edited:
Cool mods, paint, and decal work!
Well done!

You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Latest posts

Back