Motorized Rat Rod in Malta

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Malta is one crazy & interesting place (the oldest buildings in the world and Knights of Malta to name a few) and this does nothing to disprove that.
The bell must be for whenever someone can't hear a wide open chainsaw coming down the street :21:

Homemade Motorised Bicycle: I've made this chain front wheel drive bicycle, from used bicycle parts, and left over scrap material.
Frame is a 26'' 1950 stay handle bar brakes, rear wheel is of a 26" C clamp brake, seat is of a motor cycle, supported on used old iron water pipes, under the seat I've done a helmet storage box, made from scrap washing machine panels, rear mudguard, pedals, chain sprocket and chain are from other used bikes. I've done a centre stand, from water pipes.
Now lets look at the front end. I done the front fork from left over 1/8" thick hollow section, engine bed is 1"x1/8" angle iron from scrap metal, front wheel was of a chopper 20" with C clamp brake. The front mudguard is made of rubber. I had a 20" used tyre, cut to size I needed,then turned it up side down, also done it's brackets from washing machine panel. Front stand, I've done it from used water pipe, handle bar from a free style bike, all the brake cables and throttle done by me.
Lets have a look on the Chinese engine. Used second hand 49 cc 2-stroke, fitted a used carburetor, the fuel tank is a 1litre plastic oil container, a fuel tap with a small strainer inside, throttle speed liver is an old BSA valve lifter.
The exhaust finish near the ground, by adding a piece of a baby pushchair tube. Chain guard is made from aluminium table edge and chain tension is a used car engine timing belt tensioner. Drive sprocket is welded on the original to match same pitch of the wheel sprocket. Front and rear light comes from a dynamo.
Easy to work on this bike, and can still be used as a bicycle by paddling. I've only bought brand new, the front fork ball bearings, cost only two Euros.

Greetings! and welcome to RRB!!! My wife and stayed in Valetta, Malta this past December. It was a beautiful place and full of life!

Your bike and video are AWESOME!!!! I especially like the way you made a fender out of a section of tire turned inside out. There are so many really cool details to love about that bike! Well done sir!!! Well done!!

Here is a panoramic pic from the rooftop terrace of the room we stayed in the heart of Valetta.

malta.jpg

Latest posts

Back