Motored Boardtracker wih a twist

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, after building the frame for the "stretch ratty" (see signature), i really need to build me a bike to hold the chinese 2-stroke i've put in a cheap*ss 2ndhand beachcruiser for now.

I've made a quick cad sketch, but it's at work, so i'll post that later. The so called twist will be the 24x3" tyres on 80mm rims. Got the kenda krusader tyres new for 5 euro's a pop!! But they look, well, not so pretty for this build... so maybe that 'll change later on in the build.

Planned parts so far:
24x3" kenda krusaders
black 80mm rims
Drumbrake front hub
3 or 7 speed rollerbrake rear hub
Chinese 2-stroke 66cc
homemade frame to go with the fork
homemade bars to go with the fork and frame
a bunch of other stuff i haven't figured out yet.

Started yesterday and didn't stop till i had me a fork out of 18x1mm tubes. (sorry about the crappy cell phone pic)
Voorvork1.jpg

The welds are pretty ugly, but i think i won't grind 'm down. Just to keep it nice and rough.

Tomorrow i will get me some tubing for the frame, and hopefully some spokes to lace up the wheels.

O, Yeah, It'll be black.... All black

You are gonna have an awesome bike there, Mister. The forks already look great!

I hope you have good penetration on that crown tube

thanx! yes, that was my initial concern about welding my own fork.
i'm not a very good welder in practice, but i know plenty in theory...
I just welded it as hot as i could for small distances. I'm not worried about the penetration, but more the stress right next to the welds, cause it's only 1mm thick at the small tubes. I'm just going to keep a close look on cracks and deformation.
Always exciting, trying new stuff.... but i know ut should really be strong enough...

Nice job on the fork, just leave like it is and let it age..!
Looking on your plan i wonder about two things, first the crank placement. in the current position yuo will get really bunched up with feets on the pedals and hands on the handlebar.. dropping it lower and further back would ease it up a bit.. Second thing is that with 3inch wide tires on 80mm rims the drive chain wont clear the tire, will you use a jackshaft or a off set motor mount? i see a jackshaft design in your plan but i cant figure oit if its just for the regular bike chain.. :)

But i love the look of your work so far and i will follow this thread with great interest.. Good luck with your build!

thanks for the kind words!
I plan on using a rear freewheel hub as a jackshaft. For the motor aswel as the pedals.
Yes the riding position, i kinda hate pedalling close under my saddle, so i will try it like this. i can always replace the BB or have a different set of bars

what i found with mine is what would have been very uncomfortable trying to peddle it is not an issue now with the engine.

i am standing at the stops i make so i stand and give two good rotations of the crank and then it all engine and
sit back down.

your focus should be on how comfortable it is riding not peddling because it will only make up a small amount of time you'll be
doing it anyways.

yes, that would be true, except in my country its illegal to a homemade moped...
So when u go to public, err, stuff, i take the motorchain off. and when i feel rebellious, the chain goes on and off i putput. Dont know how much of which i will be doing, but i can always change stuff around

ahhh gotcha! well you'll need the best of both

hope you find the sweet spot for both then
cheers

AWESOME! I'm a HUGE fan of the wide 'euro' rims and love fat tired motorized bikes and motorcycles. My faves are by Russell Mitchell of exile Cycles:
http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=1

I didn't think anything would fill in that fork (which is BADDDD), but that wheel/tire combo is perfect, I'm following this build closely.

Keep it up!
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
AWESOME! I'm a HUGE fan of the wide 'euro' rims and love fat tired motorized bikes and motorcycles. My faves are by Russell Mitchell of exile Cycles:
http://www.exilecycles.com/index.php?section=1

I didn't think anything would fill in that fork (which is BADDDD), but that wheel/tire combo is perfect, I'm following this build closely.

Keep it up!
Dr. T

THANKS! Yes, russell is the best. He even makes me want to put a big front tyre on my Kawa zx7r Streetfighter. Bet it would look cool

Got some stuff done today.
Made the real wheel. The nexus 7sp hub still needs blackening
DSC_0056.jpg

Made the rear dropouts:
DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

Some hoops for the rear
DSC_0058.jpg

And a start on the frame.
DSC_0063.jpg

I'm not really happy with the short headtube on the frame. Makes the fork look way too tall. I'll see what i do about that. Lengthening the headtube, or shorten the fork, or leaving it as is and make a small top crown with a set of clipons just underneath the top.... We'll see.

I like that idea as wel, accept i don't know if it'll be rideable with handlebars that low. I'll figure something out. Maybe clipons that have a little rise. in any case, the top crown will be shortened, so it's just as wide as the fork itself. I don't like it wider like this.

I've lengthened the headtube about 22mm. Looks better already. Was a pain to get it straight again though.
I couldn't resist a little mockup with the actual wheels/tyres
DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

I've changed the downtube to something a little simpler, the BB will still be hanging in front of the downtube.

Latest posts

Back