Motor Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a fellow on another forum that made a Harley replica motorbike powered by a Honda horizontal motor. I was trying to find it last night to add to the other links. Harley produced (or imported) some motorcycles with horizontal engines in the 1970s. I believe it was the Sprint 250 and Sprint 350. Some of those bike were raced at flat track events; long after the board track era.

Even though I have several horizontal motors , I'm seriously thinking going with a Honda motor
maybe a 125 to a 200 single off a three wheeler or something to get the more traditional look.
I am still going to see if my 50cc no gears motor will come to life first. Would work cool on a bike.
I appreciate your time finding me posts with horizontal motors. Thanks

I know for me when I started my build I was looking for something that looked correct. I didn't want to have to dress the motor up to make it look old I would rather take a old motor and "dress it up" on the inside to get the power level I wanted. In my eyes if its easy to do but doesn't look the part then it isn't worth doing. same thing with fabrication if your not willing to put the time in to the work to make it Strong,safe and pleasant to look at then why do it. You have to be willing to cut something off and start over after hours and hours of work if it isn't correct and judging by the builds I have seen of yours you are more then up to the challenge. but basically yes it isn't that simple find your motor then your clutch and work back from there. for a first timer I would suggest going with a chinagirl motor kit but your not a beginner in my book. just know that unless you build your frame from scratch out of DOM tubing there is ALWAYS a chance that old bicycle tubing will fail when using a more powerful motor like a newer Honda or a clone . " that's directed at the other readers of this post not you"
really make me wonder what your motored ones gonna look like!!! Now that being said id dive in a have some fun. The non-motored frames you build really make me wonder what your Motored ones are gonna look like !!! cant wait to subscribe to that post !!

Here is a 50 cc Lifan in a Silver State Cycles board track frame and tank.
Just add more oil to compensate for the tilted motor.
The Lifan in this bike is a clutchless 4 speed with electric start. The starter
button is on top of the black cylinder.

Silver State Cycles is in Las Vegas and has been sponsoring Socal Motor Bicycle
Racing events by giving their $499 frame, tank and fork kit out as the grand
prize for the fast growing 66 cc Amateur Class.

9404617787_057f1afdea_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back