MotoDromo Special II : New video! with ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't get much time to work on the bike today, but I did get a cool high compression cnc head in the mail from gasbike.net. Ive never tried one of these before but it was only $60 bucks and looks really cool imo...

Back to the rear stays, I kind of messed up with the frame jig and I didnt think about being able to get a rear sprocket on it, so I kind of shoved it in and got a close idea of where the chan will be. But I was able to align it to the front drive sprocket and because of the curvature of the top stays there are no clearance issues at all:thumbsup:. All I had time to do after that was cut up a small piece of scrap tube and do a quick mock up. I got a few options that wont interfere with the chain, and I was going to make a little idler sprocket anyway, so everything is looking good!

I think I'll make the dropouts and weld the top stays to the down tube before I start the trellis. But at least I know im good to go.

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
Keep an eye on your chain lines. I did something similar once and ended up with the chain scraping the frame.
Is the engine's drive chain going to clear that stay, now that it's placed so low, or are you going to have to cut it and step it out a bit?
Because the top stays have the same curve as the bottom ones there are no clearance issues:dance2: I definitely didn't expect that, and I was prepared for more chopping. I love it when things just fall into place:)

Got a lil bit of work done today and made a reinforcement tab for the seat stays. I started with some CAD design:grin:

Transferred it to some 1/4 in plate and cut it out...

Et voilà, I think that should be strong enough o_O even though Ill still shove a long seat post down in the seat tube for even more strength. Im going to need it because apparently the head I got bumps the power up to 4hp!

Thats all i got today:( but there were a few of you interested in my chain clearance, as luck would have it this is what I got without any modification:dance2:

And a bonus image with the fork and some wheels kinda on.
Thanks for looking!

I love the CAD*

*Cardboard Aided Design

A little more done today, but I got the important leveling and measuring parts done.
First I spaced the drop outs to match the upper stays' width...

Then I clamped them down and made sure everything was nice and level .

Busted out the cut off wheel again...

Everything was looking good so I went ahead and tacked it all up!

After this final cutting and tacking, the support tab I made a few days ago was too narrow. So out came the CAD tools again.

After a good amount of massaging and tweaking the tab fits like a glove.

I couldn't be bothered to make new drop outs as you can see, but I will clean these ones up and probably reshape them a bit.
That's all I got today. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
I got a lot done today and i'm quite happy with how things are going even though I still have a LOT of work to do on the bike. First I cleaned up the tab and ground down the edges a bit to help with the weld penetration.

Some welds...

Some more welds...

Then I cut off the original stay support and cut the ends of the stays a bit because it was interfering with the motor's clutch arm.

I tried to flip the frame around on the jig to mock up the rear wheel, but the forks ended up about 7 inches from my crappy jig bracket. So a little modification was in order...

Pretty simple but I think it should work fine.

I mocked up the rear wheel with one I grabbed from my other motorized bike and Ill also be using this little 10 tooth idler somewhere. Thankfully there is no interference with the chain after the final welding.

Now I could finally start the trellis struts to reinforce the "swingarm". I decided to use 5/16 solid rod instead of the 1/2 tube for a little extra clearance from the chain, and it should be just as strong...

Now all I have to do is finalize the angles and grind all the ends for a nice flush fit.

That's it for today. Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back