MotoDromo Special II : New video! with ride...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a lot of progress done today so Ill let the pictures do the talking.:thumbsup:

First the seat...

Considering this is the first time I've tried to upholster anything and for that matter the first time I've worked with leather, Im super stoked with how it turned out!

Then as I was about to mock it up on the bike I finally got a package of parts I've been waiting for. This stuff will look WAY better than the stock motor kit parts:grin:

Then I finally got around to the tank tunnel.

Tomorrow ill finish trimming the tunnel and smooth it out, and I'm going to try and get most of the fairing done too...Wish me luck, 4 days till Shiny Side Up:rolleyes:

That's it for today, thanks for looking!

Ive been sorting out a few odds and ends on the bike so I don't have much visual progress today, but I did finish welding and smoothing the seat...

My boss was awesome enough to give me a really sweet piece of hide that will work perfectly for the seat.

So I made a little seat pan and cut some random foam we had laying around.

Now that I have the final angle of the tank and seat, I went ahead and dialed in the angles of the exhaust that was still tacked on and welded it up and smoothed it out a bit. Ill be putting the exhaust wrap back on too.

I also found a good location for the expansion bottle.

Very nice but your boost bottle is going to collect and pool fuel at such a low placement. Also who makes the air filter your using for your carb.

Very nice but your boost bottle is going to collect and pool fuel at such a low placement. Also who makes the air filter your using for your carb.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize that about the boost bottle! The air filter is a real vintage Indy velocity stack I picked up at a Goodguys swap... It took a lot of massaging to get it to fit.

Nice work on the seat, and those Bitwell grips are really nice!

Luke.

Thanks! I've been wanting to get some Biltwell stuff for a while...

Looks more and more Like a rider every day.
Will you be able to get it painted,or are you leaving it bare metal?

Looks more and more Like a rider every day.
Will you be able to get it painted,or are you leaving it bare metal?
Even if I had the time I don't think I would paint it, Im going to give it a nice brushed finish with some accent stripes and my logo in semi polish...I think:39:

Lots of progress today, but first @j.sutterfield was kind enough to mention that my boost bottle placement was not going to work, so I needed to find a cool place above the carb... Its hidden now but I think this should do the trick:grin:

I could tuck the tube under the seat but I kinda like the no nonsense race look of it. What do you guys think?

Then I put the new throttle, brake and clutch lever on and I cant tell you how much nicer they work and feel.

Then I finally got to the front fairing, which besides the initial measuring and drawing was pretty simple so I was able to finish it except for the mounting brackets.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to mount it so I took it outside for a few pics instead. I also still have a lot of smoothing to do on the tins but I cant help but feel very relieved that it "looks" so close to being done now.

Thanks for looking!

Your racing number should be F-117

Looks good with the boost line exposed, the fairing reminds me of Frankensteins mask in the death race remake. Very cool.

Wow that is something special great metal work ....
You have so much going on with this build I'm blown away !!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of progress today, but first @j.sutterfield was kind enough to mention that my boost bottle placement was not going to work, so I needed to find a cool place above the carb... Its hidden now but I think this should do the trick:grin:

I could tuck the tube under the seat but I kinda like the no nonsense race look of it. What do you guys think?

Then I put the new throttle, brake and clutch lever on and I cant tell you how much nicer they work and feel.

Then I finally got to the front fairing, which besides the initial measuring and drawing was pretty simple so I was able to finish it except for the mounting brackets.

I'm still not sure how I'm going to mount it so I took it outside for a few pics instead. I also still have a lot of smoothing to do on the tins but I cant help but feel very relieved that it "looks" so close to being done now.

Thanks for looking!
Keep the boost bottle visible! Maybe under the tank but still visible. I always had people asking me if I was running nitros on my bike. It looks cool and that question will always crack ya up. Love the build man, ya got mad fab skills!

Your racing number should be F-117
Haha indeed:thumbsup:

Lookin smooth brotha. Whats your rear wheel clearance to your seat looking like, any flex with a rider ? Your boost bottle and line placement are looking sharp !

Thanks! The 1/4 inch seat plate with the support bar underneath is very strong and there is no flex at all. I got about an 1/8 of clearance to the tire:grin:

Man, I love that rear sheet metal/seat combo! Great job.

Thanks bud:thumbsup: I took a lot of inspiration from Shinya Kimura

Looks good with the boost line exposed, the fairing reminds me of Frankensteins mask in the death race remake. Very cool.

Haha Thanks:grin:

Wow that is something special great metal work ....
You have so much going on with this build I'm blown away !!!! [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks:blush: Ive really pushed myself on this build:grin: Probably the most fab work ive ever done.

I really want to see this thing on level ground instead of that stand.

Soon, soon:crazy:

This looks amazing! Are you bringing it to the show on Sunday?

Thanks:thumbsup: And yes, Im trying my hardest to get it done for Sunday, either way Ill bring a few bikes to the show.

Keep the boost bottle visible! Maybe under the tank but still visible. I always had people asking me if I was running nitros on my bike. It looks cool and that question will always crack ya up. Love the build man, ya got mad fab skills!

Thanks! Ive had boost bottles on a few of my bikes and Ive actually gotten pretty tired of people asking if its Nos:grin: I think im gonna keep this one hidden:thumbsup:

With all the fab work done all that's left is a few details and odds and ends, so I started with the fairing. I made these mounting brackets that attach to the top fork tree, but like a derp I forgot to take a pic of it mounted:oops:

Then I tackled the wiring. Since I got the new throttle I had to find another place to mount a kill switch. I also wanted to tuck all the wires and keep everything as clean as possible because I hate how messy the wires look on these motor kits. So I cut the mounting tabs off the CDI so that it would fit in the tank tunnel, and also took the kill switch out of the stock throttle housing and gorilla glued it to the side of the cdi. I also extended the wires from the motor so I could hide them in the down tube and have all the connection in the tank tunnel...

A detail that was annoying me was the overlap of the seat on the tank, so out came the little hammer...

Then the last few things I did today was strip the drive sprocket and mount it on a newer matching wheel with some nice hex bolt hardware, switch out to a different crank, and re wrap the exhaust.

Awesome video!
Awesome build!
Have fun at SSU

Latest posts

Back