1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice

Moonraker Klunker

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by El Duderino, Mar 24, 2012.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino

This is where I started. I love klunkers and I am still collecting parts for my ultimate one but this one is a fun build with the parts I have lying around. First off is a 1995 Schwinn repro cruiser which my friend gave me.
    [​IMG]
    the bike is now stripped and Im touching up the rear end with a rattle can and some new clear coat. trying to keep whats left of the stickers. also cut the kickstand off and the mounting pieces for the chaingaurd.
    [​IMG]
    painting some chromoly bars I got off of ebay to match the frame and fork
    [​IMG]
    ive had this stem lying around for awhile now. it cam from an 80's Haro Freestyler
    [​IMG]
    its getting polished and new bolts. these are also the cranks I will use (minus one chainring) and a new leather saddle I bought cheap from work. I also found a loose ball american BB kit with a square tapered spindle so theres no need for a converter.
    [​IMG]
    and the question is, which grips to use. I like the look of the mongooses, that i traded some beef jerky for, but they are breaking down and hard. the NOS Petty grips my dad got me are softer and will be more durable. hmmm
    [​IMG]
    some big ole levers
    [​IMG]
    and since this big will probably end up having 1x6 gearing an old suntour derailleur that my roommate gave me but just needs cleaned.
    [​IMG]
    I feel like I have a good chance of finishing this build...

2. FatBoy

FatBoy

Ive been thinkin of a similar build myself except single speed.This is gonna be cool 8) :mrgreen:

3. El Duderino

El Duderino

well I got the painting done and installed the headset and bottom bracket. im interested to see how this loose-ball square taper bb will work. I also found some old mean looking DK pedals and a way sweeter derailleur then what i was going to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i broke down and bought some newer better cantilever brakes then what was laying around here and Im happy i did. also to match my mismatched wheels I used a paint marker and painted every spoke on the back wheel and installed an 8 speed cassette.
    [​IMG]
    the stem turned out alright. Its a little more upright than i wanted but we will see how it works.
    [​IMG]
    its just in need of cables, the shifter, and working out some kinks
    [​IMG]

4. KJV

KJV

Kool Klunker build ,Dude.

5. El Duderino

El Duderino

i didnt have an 8 speed shifter to match the 8 speed cassette but i did have all the components for a 9 speed drivetrain so thats what shes rocking now. Everything is installed now and I rode it around for a minute or 2. a few kinks have to still be worked out due to the spacing of the 9 speed and a cruiser frame but its solid. Nothing says shifts like a dream like an ultegra derailleur and a new chain.

Hopefully I can get some daylight to go take amazing pictures of it soon. In the meantime I will commute on it.
    Im Pumped!

6. El Duderino

El Duderino

they arent great but this bike rules. everyone who gets on it wants one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. aka_locojoe

aka_locojoe

Looks good.

8. Robertk

Robertk

Def a mean machine!

9. El Duderino

El Duderino

well this is a great commuter and Ive added a nice little gem of a frame bag. it fits the cantilever frame pretty well and gives the appearance of a tank. you can get a sweet bag like me here...
    http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP
    [​IMG]

10. Carbon

Carbon

Awesome build, those bars and that stem are what's up, I want them! They go perfect with the Maxxis tires, Sccchwwwweeet. 8)

11. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Nice, I really like those 90's schwinn repros.
    Great job with the build.
    I haven't rode it and I want one!

12. El Duderino

El Duderino

This is probably the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden and the best functioning. However its a newer bicycle and I have an attachment to the old ones so V2 is will be starting.

I took the rig to the local mtb trails and the brakes didnt do it for me so I found a nice high end set of V-brakes like these. The best Shimano brakes they made before disk. Unfortunately the big ole levers I have were meant for cantilever brakes and wont work so im still on the lookout for some.
    [​IMG]

As far as V2 im going to use a prewar Huffman built Belknap. I will have to add brake mounts to the frame.
    [​IMG]

And what just arrived to the door is a 26in 70's style BMX fork with brake mounts
    [​IMG]