Moonraker Klunker

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by El Duderino, Mar 24, 2012.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

This is where I started. I love klunkers and I am still collecting parts for my ultimate one but this one is a fun build with the parts I have lying around. First off is a 1995 Schwinn repro cruiser which my friend gave me.
    [​IMG]
    the bike is now stripped and Im touching up the rear end with a rattle can and some new clear coat. trying to keep whats left of the stickers. also cut the kickstand off and the mounting pieces for the chaingaurd.
    [​IMG]
    painting some chromoly bars I got off of ebay to match the frame and fork
    [​IMG]
    ive had this stem lying around for awhile now. it cam from an 80's Haro Freestyler
    [​IMG]
    its getting polished and new bolts. these are also the cranks I will use (minus one chainring) and a new leather saddle I bought cheap from work. I also found a loose ball american BB kit with a square tapered spindle so theres no need for a converter.
    [​IMG]
    and the question is, which grips to use. I like the look of the mongooses, that i traded some beef jerky for, but they are breaking down and hard. the NOS Petty grips my dad got me are softer and will be more durable. hmmm
    [​IMG]
    some big ole levers
    [​IMG]
    and since this big will probably end up having 1x6 gearing an old suntour derailleur that my roommate gave me but just needs cleaned.
    [​IMG]
    I feel like I have a good chance of finishing this build...
  2. FatBoy

FatBoy

0   0   0

Ive been thinkin of a similar build myself except single speed.This is gonna be cool 8) :mrgreen:
  3. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

well I got the painting done and installed the headset and bottom bracket. im interested to see how this loose-ball square taper bb will work. I also found some old mean looking DK pedals and a way sweeter derailleur then what i was going to use.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i broke down and bought some newer better cantilever brakes then what was laying around here and Im happy i did. also to match my mismatched wheels I used a paint marker and painted every spoke on the back wheel and installed an 8 speed cassette.
    [​IMG]
    the stem turned out alright. Its a little more upright than i wanted but we will see how it works.
    [​IMG]
    its just in need of cables, the shifter, and working out some kinks
    [​IMG]
  4. KJV

KJV

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Kool Klunker build ,Dude.
  5. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

i didnt have an 8 speed shifter to match the 8 speed cassette but i did have all the components for a 9 speed drivetrain so thats what shes rocking now. Everything is installed now and I rode it around for a minute or 2. a few kinks have to still be worked out due to the spacing of the 9 speed and a cruiser frame but its solid. Nothing says shifts like a dream like an ultegra derailleur and a new chain.

Hopefully I can get some daylight to go take amazing pictures of it soon. In the meantime I will commute on it.
    Im Pumped!
  6. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

they arent great but this bike rules. everyone who gets on it wants one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. aka_locojoe

aka_locojoe

0   0   0

Looks good.
  8. Robertk

Robertk

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Def a mean machine!
  9. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

well this is a great commuter and Ive added a nice little gem of a frame bag. it fits the cantilever frame pretty well and gives the appearance of a tank. you can get a sweet bag like me here...
    http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP
    [​IMG]
  10. Carbon

Carbon

0   0   0

Awesome build, those bars and that stem are what's up, I want them! They go perfect with the Maxxis tires, Sccchwwwweeet. 8)
  11. KickBackCycles

KickBackCycles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nice, I really like those 90's schwinn repros.
    Great job with the build.
    I haven't rode it and I want one!
  12. El Duderino

El Duderino

0   0   0

This is probably the most comfortable bike ive ever ridden and the best functioning. However its a newer bicycle and I have an attachment to the old ones so V2 is will be starting.

I took the rig to the local mtb trails and the brakes didnt do it for me so I found a nice high end set of V-brakes like these. The best Shimano brakes they made before disk. Unfortunately the big ole levers I have were meant for cantilever brakes and wont work so im still on the lookout for some.
    [​IMG]

As far as V2 im going to use a prewar Huffman built Belknap. I will have to add brake mounts to the frame.
    [​IMG]

And what just arrived to the door is a 26in 70's style BMX fork with brake mounts
    [​IMG]