MONTERATT - Fini

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting there for sure. Made some brackets to hold the rear rack on, it's nice and sturdy. I think I'll add a bit to the rack bottom stays to slide it up a little more level.
The seat is comfy...but I'm not sure I like it black. Wanted the top and sides more of an old faded red and white...
Anyone have experience using vinyl dye...or some method to paint the seat ? Or, leave it black ? Thoughts?
ratt2-20-17_1.jpg
ratt2-20-17_2.jpg

:happy:

franco

Love those seats, so comfy.

I've only used vinyl dye once, turned a gold cover black about 4 years ago. Pants still stick to the seat.
But I used the rattle can stuff, maybe I missed something.

Love those seats, so comfy.

I've only used vinyl dye once, turned a gold cover black about 4 years ago. Pants still stick to the seat.
But I used the rattle can stuff, maybe I missed something.

yeah, I think i read where odd job used acrylic paints..like craft paint..they don't stick to the pants....which, of course..would be what we're after here...:)
transport-bike-biker-biking-cycles-cyclist-jza0242_low.jpg

yeah, I think i read where odd job used acrylic paints..like craft paint..they don't stick to the pants....which, of course..would be what we're after here...:)
View attachment 46309
That cartoon! Haha :21:

Yes, I use 100% acrylic paint. You can find it at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores. Don't need much. I buy the small tubes / bottles. It will wear off, but gradually, and doesn't stick to your pants. Only adds to the vintage vibe.

Use really small amounts to change a brand new seat / saddle into one that looks like it's been around awhile, but in really good condition.

Wow...last post was over two weeks ago. With 3 weeks to go, I got to work on her the last couple of days...Quite pleased to see it, aging so well. :happy: The vision of taking a 'newer' Murray and making it look like a bike I rode as a kid worked.Pretty convincing An older man visiting my neighbor came over today..saw me working on le'' Monteratt..he says " Boy, that's an old one, huh?"

Monterall3_8_5Sepia.jpg

And..after all of that rusting and waiting, today, I finally put a chain on it..made up a coaster brake hanger..greased up all of the bearings and rode it around. Happy to report it's a nice smooth ride..a couple of creaks and groans here and there..but no rattling, :happy:it's pretty tight.
Monterall3_8_3.jpg

Finishing touches, get a grip, or two, a little more rustification here and there.., mount the 'battery ' box which fits under the seat . and it's good 'nuff to go. Here's a couple of additional views. one cool thing that I didn't even know, is that the rear light stays on for about a minute, then it starts to blink, it's a flasher. :happy:
Monterall3_8_4.jpg
Monterall3_8_1.jpg
Monterall3_8_6.jpg

I've also been working on fixing up an early 70s Vista Duchess, it's been painted and parts are cleaned up for a while now..We'll see, I may work that one into the buildoff as well if I can can get it together in time. :thumbsup:
Seeya in the finished bike section soon
franco

I did a clear coated bare metal Duchess a few years back for a friend, they're cool bikes with a lot of potential. Bought a second one off Craigslist for a donor and ended up redoing it with ape hangers, satin black with a metal flake red chainguard, banana seat and grips. It would be cool to see how you'd build one.

How's the rear hub?
Mine looks good inside, but in typical Westport fashion; I can't get it to run smoothly.

I did a clear coated bare metal Duchess a few years back for a friend, they're cool bikes with a lot of potential. Bought a second one off Craigslist for a donor and ended up redoing it with ape hangers, satin black with a metal flake red chainguard, banana seat and grips. It would be cool to see how you'd build one.

You're right, they're well built bikes. Parts are sturdy. Actually, on this one, I'm just bringing it back to where it was. I got it off of a woman who was using it as a garden ornament. 5 bucks. it had all of the original parts, that's why I bought it...usually they strip an old bike down to nothing and paint it all one color, and plant away..this one still had, like 4 coats of housepaint on it...:). Since I took the Monterey and made it look old, I thought, hey this would be cool, take this old one, remove all of the vines and potting soil from it...see what I can do.
This is when I got it down to the last layer and figured it was originally white...of course, when I pulled out the fork that verified it..
vistastripped9920.jpg

Last edited:
How's the rear hub?
Mine looks good inside, but in typical Westport fashion; I can't get it to run smoothly.

Yeah, I redid the rear hub...no new parts, but cleaned out tons of gunk , added a lot of fresh grease, and put it back together. Must've gotten lucky, because it rolls smoothly and stops on a dime...not bad for an old coaster brake..did you re-grease real well, and get rid of all of the sludge. ? It sounds opposite, like adding grease would prevent the friction / braking action, but I've found it really does the trick if you clean it up and really pack it in there

yucky
rearcoasterbrakesludge.jpg

That white paint is actually the primer, that purple paint is the original top coat.
Now I'm starting to wonder if they made them in any color other than purple. The two I've done, purple, your's purple, maybe all Ducheses were puple, who knows?

Yeah, I redid the rear hub...no new parts, but cleaned out tons of gunk , added a lot of fresh grease, and put it back together. Must've gotten lucky, because it rolls smoothly and stops on a dime...not bad for an old coaster brake..did you re-grease real well, and get rid of all of the sludge. ? It sounds opposite, like adding grease would prevent the friction / braking action, but I've found it really does the trick if you clean it up and really pack it in there

yucky
View attachment 47198
I cleaned it as well as I could with degreaser, then re packed it. I don't plan to use it, just wonder why every Westport I've had is like that.

yucky
View attachment 47198
Deteriorated grease is something we all deal with on old bikes. Grease is a composed of oil and thickener agent (mostly soap) and releases small amounts of oil as needed. Over time the oil dissipates and only the thickener additives are left behind. No wonder they don't work anymore!

That white paint is actually the primer, that purple paint is the original top coat.
Now I'm starting to wonder if they made them in any color other than purple. The two I've done, purple, your's purple, maybe all Ducheses were puple, who knows?
I don't know, the color on the top of the fork seemed like a finish coat...the purple was 'definitely' house paint..over a layer of green house paint..who knows, maybe it was purple. I've seen yellow ones..that are brilliant...:happy:
I saw one on here perfect shape, yellow with all the decals..forget the poster at the moment, it' was a beautiful bike.

I cleaned it as well as I could with degreaser, then re packed it. I don't plan to use it, just wonder why every Westport I've had is like that.
It must be a bad hub or something...I would guess, because I've cleaned out coaster brakes on kids' bmx bikes, dept store bikes that were gritty, and even they ran so much smoother..:happy:

I built a battery box that fits under the saddle held on by a belt to power the lights.
It works, it's crude...I didn't get to wire in switches, it's basically just twist the wires on and it does power the lights.
But..in the spirit of a bike is never really finished, I will at some point fit some battery tubes in the tank with a switch. It looks clunky under the seat, so I just leave it off for now. If I want to run at night, I'll just strap it in and twist on the wires.
mRatBattery.jpg

Calling it finished...and going to head it over to the Finished Bikes section
Here's a jump link to the Finished Bike

Thanks for checking it out,
franco

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back