Mongoose Dolomite 'Street Edition'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More upgrades on my Dolomite. Chopped 1.5" off each side of the handlebars, added ergonomic grips, added a 7-speed rapid fire shifter and switched out the crank set for a 28/38/48 3-ring setup. It is set on the middle 38 tooth ring right now which is close to the stock 36, would like to set it on the 48 (for maximum ground speed) but will have the lengthen the chain for that. Could also eventually add a front derailleur to make it a 21-speed bike.

21 speed would be very handy I would imagine on one of them. Not sure how you will go getting one to work due to the longer distance from the seat tube to the chainrings over a standard bike...

Luke.

OK, so I just ordered a front derailleur adaptor and a rapid fire 3-speed shifter for the front (to match the rapid fire 7-speed shifter already on for the back). Just need to find the correct direct mount front derailleur and the 21-speed setup will be complete.

Shimano makes a front der that is held in place by the fixed bb cup. It does not clamp on the seat tube. It should work well on these bikes.
called the "E-type"
read more about it here: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_e-f.html#etype

e-type.jpg

Just want to say I'm absolutely dign the low profile look you achieved with the boa's. It has inspired me to do one of my own soon. I'm new here, still need to do an intro. I found this site by chance after seeing a picture of this bike on the web and it caught my attention.

Thanks Skip. Since the last pictures I posted here, I have finished the conversion to 21 speeds. Although I cannot use 'all' of the speeds because the largest sprockets on the front and rear are just too far offset. I mainly did it for the 48 tooth gear on the front, which I guess is now the 21st gear when the chain is on the smallest gear on the rear cassette.
034042014_zps0d05710e.jpg

037042014_zps89d12abe.jpg

I LOVE the low profile look of those tires. I wonder if a Twenty G 3.45" tire would fit on the rear rim of my OCC Stingray? :39:

I have a Road Hog on it now, which I like fine, but I'm soooo tempted to try out the Twenty G. I think I'll go ahead and pick one up. I can always use it for something else if it doesn't work out. :cool:

MJW: I stumbled across your Dolomite build while researching bikes to buy, I created an account just to pick your brain about it.

I really like the look so I spent a week tracking down a shop with a Dolomite still NIB ready to ship. Well, it's finally here and I'd like to convert mine to a three gear crankset as well... I'm having some difficulty determining which front derailleur and crankset you used?

Thanks,
-Mike-

MJW: I stumbled across your Dolomite build while researching bikes to buy, I created an account just to pick your brain about it.

I really like the look so I spent a week tracking down a shop with a Dolomite still NIB ready to ship. Well, it's finally here and I'd like to convert mine to a three gear crankset as well... I'm having some difficulty determining which front derailleur and crankset you used?

Thanks,
-Mike-

Well look thru the many Beast threads on doing just that. Same crank, tires, rims and clsoe enough frames on both bikes.
Best bet is a bottom bracket mounted derailleur instead of one that clamps on the seat tube. None of the regular ders have the kind of reach you need. cobbling a second seat tube is a pita. The fun bit is when the chain starts rubbing on the side of the tire. Normally not a consideration on regular bikes.

If you just need lower gears, just swap out the crank arms for one with a smaller sprocket.

Rick, thanks for the reply... I'll dig around in the Beast threads I can find looking for parts. Any particular reason why a bottom bracket mounted derailleur has an advantage over using the Problem Solvers tube mount floated out with a shim like MJW has done aside from reach issues?

I've built my own motorcycles, engines, and I keep a race car in good running shape, so I have decent mechanical aptitude. But bicycles are totally new to me, so I'm flying a bit blind here at the start.

Thanks for any assistance,

-Mike-

Mike - Here are all of the parts I used to convert to 21-speeds:
Shimano Acera SL-M310-L (3X) Left Shift Lever
Shimano Acera SL-M310-7R (7S) Right Shift Lever
Shimano Altus FC-M311 Front Chainwheel (28-38-48T)
Shimano FD-M711-D Direct Mount Front Derailleur
Problem Solvers Direct Mount 100MM (Moonlander) Adaptor FS1325
KMC Z50 7 speed chain 116 links (stock is 112 links)

I got the FS1325 Adaptor after the above pictures were taken, with this adaptor I was able to get rid of the spacer I had to make which is seen in the pictures above. I got the longer chain to compensate for the larger 48T gear, it was a guess but it is working fine. Also had to buy a shifter cable casing from the local bike shop for the front derailleur as the SL-310-L did not come with that. Any other questions, let me know.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the Shimano Acera 'rapid fire' shifters on the handlebars. These are really nice, quick shifts and you keep your hands on the bars.
027042014_zps66460ba0.jpg

MJW: Thanks for the info... After lots of research last night I'd tracked down most the parts I need for the front conversion, but the crankset you list is half the cost of the one I'd selected, so I like that. The chain links required was the last bit of info I was chasing down, so I really appreciate that.

I finally got set up in the garage and surgically unpacked my Dolomite from the box last night. Everything looked great except for a small thumbnail sized ding in the front rim where something was obviously rubbing during transport. I'll color match a nail polish to the rim paint, fill it in, and call it good.

I've got mine stripped down to the frame and hopefully this weekend I can start to go through everything with a fine toothed comb in preparation for when my parts start coming in.

I'll post some photos once I've got it together.

This is my non-pedal ride, which probably explains why the look of your Dolomite Street was an instant hit with me.

npVUy.jpg

I currently have a modded Beast, and I am considering selling it to either buy a Dolomite or possibly a Sun Spider AT. Would anyone be able to tell me if I can swap the wheels on my beast, with the wheels that come on the Dolomite?

Latest posts

Back