Mongoose Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Mongoose Californian which has a cruiser frame. A bit of a surprise since Mongoose is known for BMX bikes. It's made of aluminum and chrome plated. Does any one have information on this bike? I have looked all over the Internet but can't find much. Based on the SN, it appears to have been manufactured in 1986.

Here's a pic of the bike.
56da56225befab96849888338067a926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally added the 3 Speed Nexus Hub and shifter cable assy. I also installed an aluminum rear rack that came off a Schwinn electric bike. Bike is riding smooth.

Still can't find much info on this bike.
f47b5e3c79213a1ad23580fa42f4ce97.jpg

I think it is from the late 90's or newer. The headbadge is a newer logo and nobody was really building aluminum frames in the 80's.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think you're right. I did some research on the a BMX forum and thought I had identified it as an 1986, but also had some one from the BMX forum suggest that it's a mid 90's because it's 7005 aluminum.

I would like to see a picture of the bike as it looked new.

Thanks for the info.

The 80s mongoose Californian, did exist but it was a BMX bike, made famous as Cru Jones bike in the movie RAD! This definately looks 90s, if not newer. It looks similar to a huffy cruiser I have seen, which I wanna say 2004/5ish

The 80s mongoose Californian, did exist but it was a BMX bike, made famous as Cru Jones bike in the movie RAD! This definately looks 90s, if not newer. It looks similar to a huffy cruiser I have seen, which I wanna say 2004/5ish

Thanks for the info. This bike is my daily cruiser because it's so light and rides really smooth. I guess part of me wishes it had been from the 80's when Mongoose was building quality bikes and not a Walmart Mongoose. Either way this bike is a keeper.

Your Goose cruiser looks considerably different from my aluminum framed Mongoose Zuma. Wish I still had this one.
Yes it does. I got it at a place in Chicago called Working Bikes. It's a non-profit organization that ships donated bikes to countries where bikes are still considered the only means of transportation. They also sell bikes to the public After they have been rebuilt. Many times the volunteers who are mostly all bike enthusiasts, customize the bikes as they come in. So I have no idea what this bike looked like new.

It's really a nice riding bike.

I have a Mongoose Californian which has a cruiser frame. A bit of a surprise since Mongoose is known for BMX bikes. It's made of aluminum and chrome plated. Does any one have information on this bike? I have looked all over the Internet but can't find much. Based on the SN, it appears to have been manufactured in 1986.

Here's a pic of the bike.
56da56225befab96849888338067a926.jpg

Ok, I got one of these frames yesterday. A guy threw it in with the purchase of another bike and some parts I found on CL. This is the ONLY other one I have found after searching all day on the internet. I still don't know the name of this bike, or what they looked like new. I plan on building it, and I want to know what it is. All I know is that it is a Mongoose. It looks like the dropouts will accommodate a Nexus 7 or 8 speed hub...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to think this is a Unicorn Bike....

e72a21e82d1d0bcc392ba55e2277942e.jpg

73ad6698aeb6c07c495fb22c66a48683.jpg
4e4f5286216b7a6cb46dc8d4de3a5b09.jpg

Here are some pics of this frame. The last pic shows it next to a 1958 Schwinn Jaguar frame. It's the same size roughly but accepts a 24X3 with a nexus 8 speed! This will be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

e72a21e82d1d0bcc392ba55e2277942e.jpg

73ad6698aeb6c07c495fb22c66a48683.jpg
4e4f5286216b7a6cb46dc8d4de3a5b09.jpg

Here are some pics of this frame. The last pic shows it next to a 1958 Schwinn Jaguar frame. It's the same size roughly but accepts a 24X3 with a nexus 8 speed! This will be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Awesome. Same here. Haven't had much luck finding any info. I just gave up and enjoy riding it. I have it a sanding to remove the top coat and polished up the aluminum. Turned out really nice. It's one of my favorite bikes to ride. It's my regular commuter. I'll post some pic later on.

In the early 90's mongoose also made an Aluminum 4 speed cruiser called the Redondo. Similar frames...
mr2_1.jpg

That's the same frame! I ordered a similar fork , felt 50mm front wheel, and some new 24X3's for it. I already have a chop shop customz laid back seat post, a Nexus 7 rear with a 24X3 tire, and an Electra TT mini apes. I think it will be a bad ... rider!

Ok, I got one of these frames yesterday. A guy threw it in with the purchase of another bike and some parts I found on CL. This is the ONLY other one I have found after searching all day on the internet. I still don't know the name of this bike, or what they looked like new. I plan on building it, and I want to know what it is. All I know is that it is a Mongoose. It looks like the dropouts will accommodate a Nexus 7 or 8 speed hub...

Any help would be appreciated. I'm starting to think this is a Unicorn Bike....
Are you in Oklahoma

Latest posts

Back