Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Discussion in 'FAT BIKES' started by yoothgeye, Mar 28, 2013.

1. yoothgeye

yoothgeye I <3 Single Speeds Moderator

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Alright, since quite a few of us have bought the $199 Walmart Mongoose Beast Fat Bike, I thought I would start this thread to show how I am "building" mine and share some ideas.

I also want to invite anyone else who isn't going to do their own build thread to share their photos in this thread so that this can be a resource to others buying the bike or just looking for information on them.

Mine arrived yesterday from a little van:
    [​IMG]

In a big box:
    [​IMG]

Since I had never seen a fat tire bike in real life, opening the box was a real surprise, the tires are HUGE!
    [​IMG]

I noticed today that just like Rat Rod's bike, mine too has some scratches on the down tube from something loose in the box, but it went together quickly, here it is out of the box stock:
    [​IMG]

This stuck up a little too far for my liking:
    [​IMG]

So I did this (it saved a little over an ounce of weight):
    [​IMG]

Here are some bar/stem ideas. The stem that comes on the bike is a 1 1/8" threaded, I like it, but I had a 1 1/8" threaded to threadless adapter, and I will be using it with a mountain bike stem (as seen in the photo). I am using the bullhorn bars, they are very light, made by Scott in USA, I will be wrapping them with bar tape. If anyone is interested in buying it, I have the long reach Matrix stem in the photo available:
    [​IMG]

I am NOT doing this, but it fits well if anyone else wants to do something like this. This is off of an OCC Chopper:
    [​IMG]

Just for a size reference, besides the tires being about 3 times wider, it's also taller than my 29er tires!
    [​IMG]

That's all for now, feel free to add your photos and ideas as you build your Beast!

2. Zumo

Zumo

0   0   0

Throw some ape hangers and a banana seat on there, LOL!

3. Voyager Al

Voyager Al

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

here's a vid I just did. Doesn't show the bike, but its just to see how the new handlebar mount for my GoPro works. I added a disc brake to my fatty. You can hear it growl when I pull into my driveway at the end....
    https://www.facebook.com/alan.auth?ref=tn_tnmn

4. outskirtscustoms

outskirtscustoms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
    That green seems to be a popular color. It's my favorite too.

5. cave12man

cave12man

0   0   0

Awesome idea for the thread...between you and RatRod I think we'll be pretty much covered. Throw some pics of the horns on when you get it all figured out. I was thinking of doing the same and am curious how'd they look. Might add a bit of room to the cockpit too for us taller riders. I'm about 6'1" or so and am wondering how it would fit me out of the box.

6. X-RAY

X-RAY

0   0   0

yoothdude, why did you cut the seatpost, for looks or for fit? if it was to make it fit you better, how tall are you? thanx.

7. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive

0   0   0

I want one of these so badly it's not even funny...

8. cave12man

cave12man

0   0   0

Here's a pic from another forum of the red one if anyone wants to know the color. Still hunting for a real world shot of the blue though.

[​IMG]

9. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

More for the looks, I cut off 1 inch, but can just raise the seat up an inch if I need to. I'm 5' 10".

My new stem put the handlebars forward giving me more room, plus with the "horns" I have different hand positions and can also get a more forward reach.

The Diamondback that I got that seat clamp off of was my friend's bike he bought for parts, I asked him to look for the seat post as it is the same size, but will no doubt have a built in seat clamp and be made of alloy, not heavy steel like the one on the bike.

10. dracothered

dracothered

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Muscle on roids...

[​IMG]

11. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I rode it to work this morning, it's all uphill to work, only about a mile, but all I thought about the whole ride was gearing down! I need some square taper 5 bolt 110mm crank arms... who's got some?

12. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

More pictures will come later, but here it is today, wrapped bull horn bars, stem, different saddle. At 5' 10" this is just right.

[​IMG]

13. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Another view of the new setup.

[​IMG]

14. cave12man

cave12man

0   0   0

DEWD. That actually is starting to look pretty gnarly. You used the threaded to threadless adapter right? Still wondering if a laid back post and some bulls will stretch it out enough for my 6' frame. Long arms and legs but a shorter torso. Hmmmmm

15. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I think with a layback and longer stem you'd be good. I am using the threadless adapter, but I have a 1 1/8" quill stem that is longer that I will sell.

16. XC204

XC204

0   0   0

I think the seat tube was long to support the seat tube better you've got a lot of post sticking out now from the looks of the last photo. Bike looks cool though.

17. yoothgeye

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

It's a long post and I've still got it above the minimum insert line.

18. kbollox

kbollox

0   0   0

I've been wondering about the stock seat post, is it Alu or Steel? how long is it?

19. WillisFL

WillisFL

0   0   0

Do you by any chance know what the diameter of the seat post is?

20. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

OK, got home and before my sinus headache turns into a migraine, I thought I'd throw 'Big Red' together.

First, I need to say, this thing is just ridiculous. I thought owning an OCC with it's 4.25" wide tire would prepare me for the wheels on this, but COME ON! They're HUGE

The lighting in my basement isn't great, I'll take some more outside tomorrow. The finish on the red is a satin 'anodized'-y one, like the green.
    [​IMG]

I added a set of red BMX bars because I wanted a more upright riding position.
    [​IMG]

Just for giggles, I put my 'cardio' bike in front of it for comparison. There are both 26" bikes, but the green looks like a 24" sitting beside it.
    [​IMG]

Overall, I like it, I'll put my 'review' comments in Steve's thread.

Cheers,
    Dr, T