Monark Challanger AutoFair Find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This years Charlotte Auto Fair was a little disappointing as far as bicycles go. There wasn't as much bikes this time as there was in previous years.
If you did find a bike, they were either rusted out, beat to death, or a Franken-bike that had no usable parts on it. There was a few really nice examples, but those were way over priced, and the junk rusted out, Franken-bikes were going for just as much as the restored/ OG survivor bikes. It seemed to me like everyone had a bad case of AmericanPicker-itis; where everyone thinks their stuff is "Rusty Gold".

Now there was a couple good deals on some good bikes, and I had managed to get what I think is a Monark Challanger. I paid a little more than I wanted, but I couldn't leave empty handed. I had also just sold my very first prewar bike, so I guess you could say I was slightly desperate.

It's missing some things here and there, but for the most part, It looks pretty original, and the paint looks pretty good under the years of dust and dirt.

I am not exactly sure what year it is, or how to tell from the serial number. If any one has information on these bikes, that would be sweet!
My plans for it so far is to just clean it up while keeping it as original as I can.
Thanks for looking!

I've heard of a B.F. Goodrich Challenger but never a Monark. New one on me. Nice project bike. Gary

It's prewar, Monark was one of the companies that used forward dropouts on their postwar bikes. These can usually be dated by the serial #. I've gone to the AF a couple times, but it tends to depress me, seeing all the sweet rides I could never afford! :20:

I bet that will clean up pretty well!
Nice score!

Latest posts

Back