Monark Board Track Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my fourth build in the last four years and my first since becoming a member here. It's the first that I will document. Also, it's the first where the finished product isn't going to really resemble what I started with. It's very possible that the only thing I use from the donor bike is frame - maybe the front sprocket, too. The plan is to do it in the style of a board track racer with flipped bars and a leather seat that sits low and back a bit.

I change my mind a lot, but right now, I'm looking to have the frame and monarch springer powder coated in a medium gray, and the S-2 rims I'll be using in a dark blood red with off-white or gray pinstripes on either side of the spokes. Before the frame goes to the powdercoater, I'm going to stop by my dad's place and weld up the holes in the frame that won't be used - fender mount holes in the rear dropouts, etc., and a hole in the right seatstay that was for ?? I've been told it's a mid-50's middleweight, but 2.125 tires fit with plenty of room to spare.

One thing I'm missing is a tank. I've seen Monarch Rockets with tanks that look like they'll fit my frame. If any of you have one of those or another tank that will fit sitting around, I'd love to buy it. :D

Here's the donor bike-

184342_1862347003174_1375922451_2150542_7859838_n.jpg

Someone beat the crap out of this thing. You may be able to see that the forks are bent. And, upon pulling the cranks, I discovered that they were tweaked by around 10 degrees.

Alright, gotta get this thread caught up to the current state of things. First, I've stripped the bike down to the frame, and disassembled the wheels I'm going to use - S-2s with a Schwinn script hub in the front and a New Departure coaster in the rear.

Frame and hoops ready for blasting and powder coat (just waiting for the Monark springer to join them)-

183474_1875240565505_1375922451_2171787_5172521_n.jpg

And, a collection of parts I'm getting together to be re-chromed. The hub bodies and the Monark sprocket are for this build-

181786_1875240245497_1375922451_2171786_5778797_n.jpg

The next step in this build is to sell some of that stuff in my garage and raise some funds!! :D

I dig those frames, and the sprocket is really cool! I'll be keeping an eye on this one :mrgreen: I really like the boardtracker asthetic and history, I'm excited to see what you do with this :D

RestoRodSchwinn said:
I'm pretty excited myself! Thanks for your insights and encouragement in the board track racer thread :D

You are welcome! I do love a Cool Monark!

I take it you ordered a Beefed Up Monark Springer?

Going to be a cool bike 8)

Strings_and_steam said:
I dig those frames, and the sprocket is really cool! I'll be keeping an eye on this one :mrgreen: I really like the boardtracker asthetic and history, I'm excited to see what you do with this :D

Could not of said it any better. :D

Skipton said:
I take it you ordered a Beefed Up Monark Springer?
Unfortunately, I ordered mine before I knew about the beefed up ones. But, as luck would have it, my dad's a great welder and fabricator, so we're going to do our own beefing.

Alright. I'm heavily leaning toward making this a motorized bike with the Grubee Skyhawk GT5 Super Rat setup. If I do, I'm guessing the wise thing to do would be to fit the engine, etc., fabricate a tank of some sort, then disassemble it and get the powder coating/chrome plating done. This will be my first build of this type - any quick advice would be appreciated.

RestoRodSchwinn said:
Alright. I'm heavily leaning toward making this a motorized bike with the Grubee Skyhawk GT5 Super Rat setup. If I do, I'm guessing the wise thing to do would be to fit the engine, etc., fabricate a tank of some sort, then disassemble it and get the powder coating/chrome plating done. This will be my first build of this type - any quick advice would be appreciated.
don't use the chain tensioner that comes with the kit,use a half link on the pedal side to suck up some slack, make your own motor mounts and weld them to the frame, buy a hub adaptor to mount the sprocket from pirate cycles the one that comes with the kit will fail! locktight all screws, and most important buy a better throttle !

dash said:
use a half link on the pedal side to suck up some slack
Not sure that I understand this exactly, but I'm all for ditching that clumsy looking tensioner.

dash said:
buy a better throttle !
Any suggestions where I could find one of these?

Thanks!

RestoRodSchwinn said:
Thanks a bunch, Dash!
not a problem and im looking forward to the build, your frame will make a sweet boardtracker! please keep in mind their is a reason those kits are only 200, the engine it self is OK but that chain tensioner and the throttle are a trip to the hospital waiting to happen! one last bit of advice, if you make your own tank seal it with kreem, you can get it on amazon, also invest in a inline fuel filter.

Acquired the tires I'll be using for this build through my local bike shop. Picking them up after work!! They're Cream Felt Quick Bricks. Very excited!

Has anyone ever used a drum brake on a Monark Springer? If so, which leg (front or back) did you tie it to, and how did it work. I know I can go ahead and put a disc on it, but I like the look of the drum so much better.

After getting derailed by life, this project is back on track. I've enlisted my dad to build a tank, beef the frame, and build custom engine mounts. He used to make a living doing bronze sculptures. We're making a tank out of sheet bronze as well as fairings between the seat tube and the rear tire. Haven't decided whether to polish or patina the brass - maybe a combination of the two so it looks old, but cared for. I'll get some pics up as soon as we have something.

Does anyone have a particular engine kit to recommend? I should be ordering within a week or so.

i cant wait to see the tank ! will you please take pics of how you build it are you guys going to braze it?

dash said:
i cant wait to see the tank ! will you please take pics of how you build it are you guys going to braze it?
Yes, we'll be brazing it. I'll try to get some in-process pics and post them. Looks like we'll be using the cap and opening from an old Coleman camp stove's tank with the cool internal chain on the knurled brass cap.

A little activity today and some pics to show I'm making some progress. I picked up my frame from being sandblasted and S2 rims from being powdercoated. With the frame back in my Dad's hands he'll be able to continue on the gas tank. Pics of the frame, the gas cap we'll be using, and one of the rims mounted up on a cream quick brick. Now, I need a Shimano coaster brake hub and some spokes. I think I may have to go eBay.
b84df173-ca6a-862c.jpg
b84df173-ca84-2b9c.jpg
b84df173-caaf-e366.jpg

I've got an old ladie's Monark Rocket-- haven't checked to see just how old she is yet-- but I'm really digging what your doing with yours................ and then :shock: I saw that cream quik brick on that red rim, and I can't wait to see more! 8) 8)

Thanks, Capn! I'll keep everyone updated as it progresses. I talked to my dad today, and he had beefed up the joints at the bottom bracket and the head tube by brazing some nice fillets. I'll dress them out before having it powdercoated. He made some more progress on the tank, too. So glad to have his help on this one.

Latest posts

Back