Mofo / MoFaux 8/1 They're Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mofo (name change) a.k.a. Mustgo

Road Master said:
Sometimes placing washers on the rear axel INSIDE the frame can change the alignment of your chain & sprockets. Don't be afraid to experiment with multiple washers on either side and both sides. On my RRBBO5 Build I used 26x2.35 Fat Franks on brand new 26x2.35 Rims which made the tires wider than on 1.75 Rims. I ended up with clearance problems with the chain, tire and stays. I put 3 washers on the brake arm side of the axel inside the frame and then trued the wheel towards the brake arm side also. The washers pushed the hub towards the crank side enough that after I trued the wheel the opposite direction towards the brake arm I got just enough clearance that nothing rubbed.

I'm not saying this will work for all frames under all conditions but it might be worth your time to experiment if you really want to use that chain ring. Good Luck and Have Fun! Robert

Thanks, it seems the chainring is nor perfectly flat, it has a slight dish and It appears to be factory made. I've flopped it both ways and I still have problems. I'll try your suggestion today and see if I make it work.

Re: Mofo

So I’ve decided to go with a smaller chainring! I'll save the larger chainring for another build!

Right now I’m down to the last finishing touches on this build, I’ve been debating on which tire color to go with? Since there seems to be an affinity for the 24x3 (I love those fatties) but I wanted to go with a different route. Perhaps 26x 2.125 brown colored tires with black rims. I think that color combination with the green bike would be really sweet. It took me a minute to find brown tires but I did find some, and after installing them I felt the brown was the wrong combination. So I've defaulted back to the white walls for now…what about you guys is there another color you favor more? I've attached several tire color choices...

Brown Colored
78176396.jpg

White Walls
b5110ec9.jpg

Brick Colored
888e047a.jpg

Black Colored
5cad4c98.jpg

Cream Colored
66a97c4c.jpg

I like the brown or the black, but it is kinda hard to say with the white rims. If you plan to have black rims, do your virtual mockup with black rims too. It made a difference in my real mocks.

kingfish254 said:
I like the brown or the black, but it is kinda hard to say with the white rims. If you plan to have black rims, do your virtual mockup with black rims too. It made a difference in my real mocks.

Sorry about that, I guess I should have said, imagine the drawing rims as chrome, LOL. Any contrast color outside of black or chrome draws the eye to the wheels and not to the bike. But I'll mock-up a few options for sure...Thanks!

kingfish254 said:
ruddigger said:
Critter1 said:
Whitewalls bring it all together.... and a chain, grips & spokes :p
b5110ec9.jpg

I'd like to thank you guys for the tire color choices...I've made a decision on which color to go with.

fordsnake said:
...sometimes it's the little touches that are missed :D

I agree, and they probably will be missed in the final voting, but that is also one way you can tell someone that is building for themselves or for the voting.

I still love the "BEER POWERED" crank lock ring that was on the Roland build last year!! Classy, and I am sure to copy it once I find some letter dies at a yard sale.

kingfish254 said:
fordsnake said:
...sometimes it's the little touches that are missed :D

I agree, and they probably will be missed in the final voting, but that is also one way you can tell someone that is building for themselves or for the voting.

I still love the "BEER POWERED" crank lock ring that was on the Roland build last year!! Classy, and I am sure to copy it once I find some letter dies at a yard sale.
You’re so right about this build…I think I’ve always had a love affair for building bikes for myself. I know as a young boy, me and my buddies were preoccupied with wrenching on our bikes…we couldn’t get enough of trying to make our rides special and add our personal touches…next month I’ll turn 64 and I’m still wrenching :D

A couple of years ago I discovered the internet, and became a card-carrying member of the CABE. I'm sure you're aware that restoring a classic or an antique bicycle is time consuming, detail oriented and often times an expensive proposition.

Last year, while waiting for parts to surface to purchase for one of my Schwinn prewars, I decided to mix several bike parts and wound up making myself a Frankenbike, I called Rat Schwinn.
31e16dcb.jpg

I love this bike and how it turned out...and what's amazing is that I built it before I knew of RRB and your unbridled appreciation, and passion for the “what if” builds. You know, “what if I do this” or “what if I try this?” There's no right or wrong way here... this is an experimental art forum of personal expression.

BUILD OFF #7 has been my first exposure and indulgence with RRB's forum and camaraderie....and I must say you guys rock!

That Rat Schwinn is PURDY!!!!

I have never been on CABE, and I have only been on RRB for about 1 year. But you just can't beat the fun and talent on this site!!!!!!

You Rock too sir! You and that Bangin' bike!! How did you do those designs?!? Great work! GTB!! Peace

You're right about the little details. A few weeks back, I went to a Bike Fest in Livingston Montana and entered my bike. I think the old wooden beer crate on the back filled with empties push me over the top...I won 3rd Place Best in Show!
Nice touch on the seat...I like simple design.

NewOrleansFlyer said:
You're right about the little details. A few weeks back, I went to a Bike Fest in Livingston Montana and entered my bike. I think the old wooden beer crate on the back filled with empties push me over the top...I won 3rd Place Best in Show!
Nice touch on the seat...I like simple design.

Fisch said:
Love the name under the seat touch! I redid the gastank on one of my datsuns and painted a skull and a eyeball on it that no one will see unless they crawl under the truck!

Thanks, that means a lot coming from two talented gents!

Char passed on a name idea for his bike since he already has a cool Fairbank Flyer headbadge made.

I suggested FAUX REAL after a comment from Critter on that build.

You have some wicked faux finishing going on here as well.

You should consider renaming your bike

MO FAUX

MO FAUX MO REAL !!!!! :p :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Char passed on a name idea for his bike since he already has a cool Fairbank Flyer headbadge made.

I suggested FAUX REAL after a comment from Critter on that build.

You have some wicked faux finishing going on here as well.

You should consider renaming your bike

MO FAUX

MO FAUX MO REAL !!!!! :p :mrgreen:

Sweet...where were you two weeks ago before I began working on the headbadge. I have another idea for a build...I know I can only enter one build, but if you don't mind, I'd would like to use Mo Faux for it?

Yeah, and I forgot that you already had MOFO under your seat.

You have my blessing to use MO FAUX as much as you MO FAUX like to, because I know whatever you build will be a bad .........(SHUT YOUR MOUTH).......but I'm talkin' bout MO FAUX!!! .......(THEN WE CAN DIG IT). :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back