Modern tire options?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what's out there for tires that suit rat bikes and Muscle bikes. I know of the WTB Thickslick but that's about it really. I've also heard of the Bontrager Hank but I can't seem to find any of those.

I'm looking for anything really with either a red line on it or white wall. My daily cruiser runs generic Duro whitewall tires. Need standard 26 x 2.2 or close to it.

Last edited:
Are you using the Duro diamond tread (vintage looking cruiser tire) or the more modern, almost slick limited tread Duro? I like the later as it is rated for 50lbs. Much less friction and so far great wear. The ones I use have white walls. I got them out of Miami on Ebay. Here is what they look like on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/Tire-Duro-Black-White-DB-1012/dp/B07B1H1GZ4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=slick+tread+26"+whitewall&qid=1605873633&sr=8-1

I'm running the diamond pattern ones, I wanna keep with a less modern and more vintage style tread pattern.

Schwalbe Fat Franks, Big Ben, and Big Apple might be worth looking at.

Might look more into those Fat Frank's, they got that old school brick pattern to them, I also stumbled up on the Thick Brick tire.

My Duro's are 2.25, what're the 2.3 Fat Frank's in actual width? As with my Duro's, I've got only a few millimeters of clearance on each side between tire and fender strut.

Fat Frank on my Schwinn measures 2.35" as you can see in the second picture.
fat frank 2.jpg
fat frank 1.jpg

Thanks. coming from the MTB world, I know some tire manufactures put width measurements on their tires and they're not the same, sometimes they're undersized from what's printed on them.

Might have to try the Franks, As I noticed the fenders on my AMF are much wider than the ones on my JC Higgins, so I should be able to fit bigger tires under them.

The flat-tread cheater slick from Jerald Sulky (26 x 2.125) is always a good choice for muscle bikes, but they no longer do direct sales. You'll need to order from a dealer in harness racing tack. I also like Duro Beach Bums, but they're getting difficult to find, as well.

View attachment 144393
I haven't used this seller. Can't say positive or negative about them.
https://www.bigdweb.com/product/jerald+jog+cart+tire+26+x+2.125+slick+tread.do
They also have this other jog cart tire, which looks like it could have an interesting tread too
https://www.bigdweb.com/product/jog+cart+tire+26+x+2.125.do

Thanks for the options, though after getting progress on my new bike, seems Fat Franks are out, if I wanna keep the fenders. I could get away with my current Diamond pattern 2.125 tires. Though, I'm kinda leaning away from whitewalls for this build and may go with the WTB Thickslick 2.0. New version has flatguard, so might try those, as the puncture issue seems to be solved...as I heard the originals were rather prone to punctures.

I'd also not object to finding a match for the Western Flyer diamond tire the bike came with, it's a 1.75 and in almost NOS condition. I seen some old NOS tires listed on The CABE recently, might have to pick one or both up...

I have the all black 26 x 2.125 electra retrorunners on my red menace. light, look awesome and fast.

Latest posts

Back