RRBBO13 Model 78. It’s a rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently in Warners Bay Area, working just over the hill in Boolaroo. It’s a great part of the world.

The sun has come out this morning, maybe some workshop time this arvo.

To my fellow Aussies living in north coast NSW, on a Mediterranean island (lol), and yes even in "cold" Canberra...

You have NO idea what wet and cold really means :21:
Of course. But when you aren’t equipped to properly deal with it, nor are you used to it, the local climate is cold enough to wish for heating. Pretty sure it got to single figures a few mornings this week!

Of course. But when you aren’t equipped to properly deal with it, nor are you used to it, the local climate is cold enough to wish for heating. Pretty sure it got to single figures a few mornings this week!

You're are right of course, I haven't worn my winter coat, inside, at my dining table since I left Sydney.:D

I'll stop derailing the thread now.

Yesterday was warm enough :bigsmile: so I got a little (terrible) welding done. Fitted the tank plate and the stem to the fork bottom plate. I am bingo to duplicate the bottom plate, but need to work out the fork angle before I drill the holes for the fork tubes in the second plate. Also need to work out how to connect the forks to the top plate and still have them removable, I guess welding wont work.

27A6ED0E-47B2-4B2C-A60C-A2E8412878C7.jpeg

Yesterday was warm enough :bigsmile: so I got a little (terrible) welding done.....
Also need to work out how to connect the forks to the top plate and still have them removable, I guess welding wont work.

View attachment 79004

I guess that would depend on how good the welds are? LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Knocked up a couple of spacers to hopefully hold the fork legs in the correct position while I tacked on the dropouts
323A730F-15A9-4D56-8C96-BB101C8E73E3.jpeg

Then used some highly accurate thickness plates to space put the fork bottom plates. Couple of bits of MDF that were laying around.
380E3CE0-08BD-4DE7-9419-74E4EBF47891.jpeg

A few spots of welding and then threw it together to see if I’ve been wasting my time. Looks ok though so I’ll continue :)
D44CF674-D964-4632-8155-5F6948E5DB2F.jpeg

Fun chopper.
I need to make some fork plates like that for some top fueller forks that I have.

The deadline is closing in. School holiday 'free time' has evaporated into managing family affairs, Then the ute needs a new clutch, probably this weekend.

Last night in front of the telly spent some time cutting out some stencils for the tank plate decoration. I was going to use decals, but had another idea - to be revealed when done.

Yes! ^ Please 'de-scribe' your process! Really cool idea!

Brilliant idea with your pinSCRATCHing. That looks sweet!

To be honest I was testing the waters a little for the reaction to the pinstriping :)

I went a bought a paintbrush and got out the paint, but then figured that trying to remove stray paint from a rough/rusted surface wasn’t going to work well. Plan B, why not engrave it.

Quick test with some chalk then out with the Dremel (or cheap knock off) an engraving bit and ... I reckon it came out alright for a first attempt. :happy: I used a flexible extension on the dremel as it was easier to handle. It was pretty noisy, so I waited for my wife to go out and got stuck in.

Fabrication nearing an end. Forks are all but done, just some tweaking to go I think.

What do you fold reckon about colour for the forks, cranks, seatpost etc?. I was leaning towards black, but also considering silver and leaving as is with just a coat of linseed.
7CDD0A18-0101-4087-A16B-E1A63CFD5ABA.jpeg
44A17697-1B3E-467C-9505-0B19DCAB3209.jpeg

Last edited:
Leave as is in silver.
Hard to say for sure with out the fenders in there though.

I'd say rust-ina the headlight casing, and black the cranks, fork, stem, seatpost. And the black doesn't have to be perfect. A little Rustoleum Textured spray misted over the black in places , and then rubbed in would be cool.

Latest posts

Back