RRBBO13 Model 78. It’s a rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I figured if I start a build thread here it will give me a deadline! Not my first bike build, but my first attempt at fabrication for a bike, not just parts and paint.

Starting point: Local dept store (Big W) bike. 100% Mambo single speed cruiser. It was complete, but I forgot to take a decent pics. Removing some parts/branding will bring it back to 60% original. Building on a tight budget with scrounged, recycled and home made bits.
IMG_1383.JPG

The paint is so thin on this thing that in removing a couple of the stickers a razor blade went through to the steel with no effort. It's been stored outside so is pretty rusty already, so I'll continue that theme.

New forks coming - the fabrication bit.

IMG_1383.JPG IMG_1381.JPG IMG_1385.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1388.JPG
    IMG_1388.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 212
Make it your own

B7D22A4A-9AE6-41A1-9BA3-7F56F71FF9E0.jpeg
Picked up some whitewall tyres to go with it this evening. In keeping with the budget build idea, they are attached to a bike I bought and will switch it’s tyres to black and flip it, hopefully for a few extra coins than it cost.

Last edited:
So far so good. A little progress this week. Working takes a lot out of build time doesn’t it!

Within 24hrs I whipped the whitewalls off the white cruiser, put some older tyres and a replacement chain on it because it was just about rusted solid and sold it on. $0 whitewalls.
6AF34F8E-53DB-4965-823E-8960B5066EC2.jpeg
Mock-up up so I can try to work out the extra rake for some new forks. Think I’ll need to lay the seat post back too.

Im loving this build already! I was in Wally World just last week looking at a new cheap beach cruiser to cut up! Will probably pull the trigger on one next week then stick it in the attic for a future build!

Thanks Alan. These things are cheap, and there is no historical value either.

Mucked around with etching a new headtube badge today, but transferring the design to the aluminium plate failed. I used photo paper and it left a plastic coating on which sealed the plate against the acid etch. Try again tomorrow I guess.

measured up the front end a bit trying to work out fork length and rake today, but didn't have time to construct.

0A3056A7-9E30-4EB8-A4A3-B33BBB7A13DC.jpeg
While waiting for welding supplies.... No turning back for the forks now. I need the steerer.

Kids don’t need safety nets on a trampoline do they? The net is long gone, with some spare poles so I’ve mocked up the forks with some mdf plates until I get some steel.
627AA2E0-80C4-4FDF-957E-C872FFE67571.jpeg
Sorry, phone’s turned that sideways.

Last edited:
8E3C5618-E12C-4625-9A13-D7067C5ADFF1.jpeg
Got some time to work this afternoon. Played with the new welder which also happens to be a plasma cutter. My cutting is a bit rough, but I’m new to it. It’s also much better than a grinder for curves!

After a while on the grinder I was ‘reminded’ that grinders are noisy, so it was time to quit. Tank plate, fork too and bottom plates and a little bit for a seatpost support knocked up. Still need to tidy them up a lot, but that will need to wait.

It's been cold and wet here. Winter is not conducive to time in the garage on a weeknight and weekends have been busy/distracted with other stuff. A heated workshop would be good, but can't justify that for a few nights a year.

I've drilled a couple of holes in the fork plates getting ready for welding, but that's about it for construction. Need to get a move on!

It's sad innit? I want to keep moving on mine too but it's freaking cold and wet here too. I got my garage 1/2 insulated over summer, but I think the non-insulated 1/2 is letting in twice as much cold now. 0% chance of rain this weekend, wooo! I really need to get down a couple of layers of paint.
Did you see funkme's welding footwear? I'm starting to think she must be an Aussie too...

Did you see funkme's welding footwear? I'm starting to think she must be an Aussie too...

Smart man! Actually, she is.
@Funkme , your welding shoes gave you away. :D

Latest posts

Back