(MMBO Class 1) Super Stock Scrambler...10 Speed Stingray SRAM-bler

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks c1run1. Thanks Luke...I think you're right it's plenty sturdy. This morning I locked the brake and pushed backwards on the bike with all my weight and it wouldn't flex at all. The caliper was flexing but not much. Feels like it will be a solid setup. The bottom legs are already pinned against the stays and I have reliefs for the stays filed into the bracket.

My original plan for this bike was silver but since I'm short on time I'm going to do a little freshening up that I will call the Intense Blue Pearl........Scenario...;-)

When I got a 'lil tiger for my son I touched it up with this Chrysler Intense Blue Pearl and it matches the Schwinn Sky Blue exactly.

touchup1_zps57b58db8.jpg~original

I've got another item for the mini makeover in that envelope. Going to use the decals I think Schwinn should have put on the late seventies Stingrays. Really want to see how they look as I may use them later on the silver.

Here she is with most of the touch up done. Gonna let that dry for a bit and throw the decals on there.

touchup2_zps1dab1b92.jpg~original

She's starting to get a little attitude going.

Thank you Jamie...I missed your post this morning because we posted at exactly the same time!

Well I wasn't planning on lacing wheels today but since the spokes showed up that's what I did.

spokes4_zpsfc9e3cf8.jpg~original

Was nice outside but then I realized I still need to watch a youtube vid to get me started. So I headed inside for my recliner.

spokes5_zpsf3b55da7.jpg~original

Lacing wheels is fun but the 1st spoke is a little more fun than the 72nd...;-)

Offset rear wheel looks wild. I lace the drive side first as it's 3 cross then lace the non-drive side with a radial pattern. This is with just the drive side laced on the rear wheel.

spokes6_zpsf35ba23e.jpg~original

Came out pretty good. Love these cross-lace rims.

spokes7_zpsc8cd62eb.jpg~original

Hit a little snag with the brake. It's too short of a reach. Good news is that means it is just like the old center pull brakes I remember so I'll make a drop bolt deal like this.

dropbolt-r20.jpg

I don't have to drop down very much. Hopefully I can make it so it's not too frankensteiny.
That's a clever tip!

Thanks roadwarrior...wasn't expecting the reach to be so long on this frame. Bracket worked out though.

Well I got my decals on but they got a little butchered...especially since the SRAM 1091 hollow pin 10-speed chain showed up right after I applied them..

blue1_zps4d8dcb1f.jpg~original

I had to move the big chain ring back to the outside of the cranks and put the little ring back on until I can get some shorter bolts or file mine down.

blue3_zps5abebff6.jpg~original

Borrowed the seat + sissy off the '64 and took her out for a spin!

Having those early wide bars on a theadless setup makes for a whole different animal if you stand up and stomp on it. Acceleration is explosive with the long cranks and all the gears...;-) The laid back geometry on the long stingray frame is really stable too. Took some getting used to.

I bought a real 1976 Scrambler for my son for Christmas. Got it from member 66sprint on here. It's super nice and super original. He also got a pair of '70s shades.

Guess I made the Scrambler vortex a little too strong. 2 came through.

jdscramb_zpsb0fc7f4e.jpg~original

Took them out for a spin and his bottom bracket was pretty squeaky. Also the original tires are a little hard and dry so I re-packed the bb and cleaned the chain as best we could. I put the wheels off my '64 stingray on there for him as well. Now the red one is pretty fast too!

jdscramb4_zps6a19af4e.jpg~original

jdscramb3_zps2bdde819.jpg~original

jdscramb2_zps62948a72.jpg~original

Don't think he's going to let me borrow the seat off it now. I need to get crackin' on my seat, although the polo seat doesn't look too shabby with the early bars. Could always say it's a backdate....scenario..;-)

skid_zpsb7ec92b0.jpg~original

Last edited:
More awesome work!

Thanks CRASH!

Incredible !! And its great you can get your son Involved , I have my Nephew coming over to work on bikes as well .

It's fun.....but I did have to borrow his seat...temporarily. Scrambler seat is nice. More padding than a Stingray seat.

blue10_zps87c71180.jpg~original

blue8_zps21557beb.jpg~original

blue4_zpsf9153116.jpg~original

blue12_zps650c1d80.jpg~original

blue11_zps9c7a8bf7.jpg~original

Last edited:
Thank you!

This bike will continue to evolve but it was fun to put it together while riding the wave of energy at the end of the build off. I got the Fastback done so early and couldn't sit on this Scrambler bubble any longer. This bike was ready to be built.

Now I will ride it as is and continue fine tuning it and then paint it silver but for now it is done in the Intense Blue Pearl...scenario.

My plan was to bring the bike inside tonight and detail it but the muddy/dirty pics turned out ok. It's 16 degrees here today (-9 celsius). Nothing like cold weather to cool off the bicycle fever.

We'll see though. I would like to get them tires cleaned up.

blue5_zps8a6f81e7.jpg~original

blue7_zpsef6abe42.jpg~original

blue9_zps450b2aff.jpg~original

Beautiful work!

Thanks CRASH....was a real pleasure meeting you and enjoying this build off with you...your attention to detail is inspiring.

wow im glad im not in your class :praise:

Oh there are a lot of incredible bikes in this build off. Was just fun to share and the big prize is the bike you end up with. That trike of yours is a dandy!

Awesome work! Would love to ride this one too!

Luke.

Thanks Luke!

This one is a blast to ride as well. Lot more laid back as far as the handling goes. Biggest surprise for me was how much of a difference going to a threadless setup makes. That quill stem is a real weak point with the big apes. With the threadless and the MTB stem the bars are solidly connected to the frame. She's real responsive when you stand up and push on the pedals.

Got up today, put some pork and sour kraut in the crock pot, made some coffee and brought the bike in for a little detailing.

blue18_zpscb327832.jpg~original

Did a little more touch up paint and polishing. Scuffed up the back rim sides and cleaned the polish off for the brakes. Polished the front rim and cleaned tires and schmeared them with some shiney spray.

blue14_zps95f03401.jpg~original

More shiney tire pics in the finished bikes thread and stay tuned for more of this bike in the builds section. I have more plans for this one.

Last edited:
Brilliant bike, normally I am not keen on the muscle bikes but this is art!

My grandmother had pork and sour kraut at a friends house yesterday. The big shiny tires look incredible careful shining the seat might end up slippery.

Brilliant bike, normally I am not keen on the muscle bikes but this is art!

Thank you!

That sprocket though... DAYUM!

Looks big I know..It's actually only 1 tooth larger than the Schwinn Mag sprocket but even those look naked without a chainguard. I may do a chainguard or smaller black chain ring. This bike will continue to evolve. This is only about 14 days worth. Wanted to get it running for end of the build off.

My grandmother had pork and sour kraut at a friends house yesterday. The big shiny tires look incredible careful shining the seat might end up slippery.

My favorite holiday meal! Good stuff. Thanks Jamie. I don't know how the tire shine got so out of control. I just hit them with a little of the foaming one touch deal. Usually just makes them black.

Don't get me wrong... I love it! Beautiful work!

Hey thanks! I knew what you meant though. I go back and forth on the sprocket. It's shifting perfect right now so I like it!

I am loving all that carbon fiber.

- by Gigmata

Thanks Gigmata...love those cruisers you build!

Thinking about changing this bikes name to Super Seat Stealer. I had just put the black seat back on my son's Scrambler and it snowed. Well I had to try it in the snow! So I took the white seat off the Fastback.

snow1_zps43e6d263.jpg~original

snow2_zps2671762f.jpg~original

It did really good in the snow covered grass but was hard to keep up on the streets that were partially packed down.

Today was my last day of vacation and my son's school was cancelled for snow. He wanted the original rims and knobbies back on his Scrambler. Who can blame him right?...;-) They're cool.

snow3_zps7813bb2f.jpg~original

He wants to re-do his bike as a "General Lee" Not my first choice as a theme but I did make him watch "The Dukes of Hazard" reruns with me online.

Will probably do a resto on his towards the spring. Maybe put it in the WBO towards the end. Winter and Build Off don't go together too well this time of year on this part of the planet....;-)

I need to figure out where to start putting these things. Bikes are appearing out of nowhere at an alarming rate.

Latest posts

Back